Netflix: obscure shows

Netflix has such a large catalogue, it’s hard to know what you might be missing. Share obscure shows or movies, either on DVD or streaming, that you like from Netflix.

I have two that I’ve recently discovered:
Canada’s Worst Drivers
Curious and Unusual Deaths

Danger 5. Australia’s answer to (though it predates) Kung Fury.

Top of the Lake. Intense mystery series that starts with the discovery of a 12-year-old girl who is pregnant. With Holly Hunter and Elizabeth Moss.

The Fall. Even more intense. Gillian Anderson is a copy going after a slippery serial killer. Jamie Dorman as the killer (no spoiler – it’s revealed early on). He later played Grey in 50 Shades of, and this role makes that movie even creepier.

Green Wing. UK comedy set in a hospital, filled with all sort of nutty doctors. Michelle Gomez (now playing the Master on Doctor Who) is insanely funny.

Lovesick. Romantic comedy about a man who has to track down all his sexual partners because he has an STD. And, yes, it’s a charming show despite its premise (the show changed its title; originally it was Scrotal Recall).

Don’t Trust the B---- in Apartment 23. Surprisingly funny show that flopped on network, about a woman who movies to NYC and ends up rooming with a manipulative roommate. James Van Der Beck plays a satirical version of himself, and the show manages to be both funny a daring.

This. X1000.

Agree with this one, but bail out after the second season. Third was not necessary (or good).

I’ve not encountered any obscure series I’ve enjoyed (Van Helsing looked like it had potential, but didn’t really work out), but a few movies…though I can only think of one offhand.

Darling is weird as hell, and has production that feels like a student movie (it’s not)…but it’s somehow compellingly so.

Dark Matter.
Ripper Street.
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell

Thees calls for the perfect Fruit Madrid

2 parts grenadine
1 part Chartreuse
A pinch of salt
A fresh mint

Call My Agent
A Very Secret Service
Humsafar

They’re not obscure, most of these are popular network tv shows, albeit new to USA audiences.

“Long Way Round” and “Long Way Down”, a couple of motorcycle documentaries with Ewan MacGregor and his buddy Charlie Boorman. In the first one they ride east from London around the world to New York. In the second they ride from the northern tip of Scotland to the southern tip of South Africa.