Netflix's The Crown

Definitely shows the consequences of cigarettes as well.

I like that they’re doing his nude scenes now instead of waiting until season 6.

The only other think I’ve seen Foy in was Upstairs, Downstairs where she played a promiscuous Nazi sympathizer. It’s interesting to see her play the good sister this time. Dame Eileen is doing a fantastic job as Queen Mary. I loved that scene where she curtseys before her granddaughter in full mourning.

Queen Mary did a pretty good job of neatly explaining what the Sovereign’s role is (the bit about how unnatural being completely impartial is, not so much the bit about being a divinely inspired role model for the common person).

What I find interesting is how Elizabeth and Philip had their own struggles with “tradition.” They too had to deal with palace staffers determined to keep the monarchy in a previous century. It’s clear this is something each succeeding generation struggles with. Princess Diana would lob the same accusations against them, just a lot more publicly.

The sight of Elizabeth’s stricken face realizing how things have changed as she saw her grandmother curtsy to her really moved me.

That’s exactly what I’m going now. I desperately need a distraction from reality and am trying to avoid alcohol after last night.

Binged it over two days. Really, really well done. Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby are riveting actresses, Lithgow is also fantastic and the production value is insane.

Yet another nail in the coffin of network television.

I’m only 3 episodes in, so I’m treading lightly for spoilers, but what I’m really interested in is how much…adjusting of the facts they’re doing.

I’m also wondering if Elizabeth ever considered putting a muzzle on Philip…

I’m on Episode 7. Some thoughts:

1. Elizabeth’s lack of general education shocked me. I mean, I know women were discouraged from being educated (watch the Queen Mum’s explanation when confronted) back then, but I had no idea by how much. At least Elizabeth had the wherewithal to realize her own shortcoming in that area and did something about it.

2. Philip is my least favorite character in all this, and I think Matt Smith is deliberately playing him as such in that as Elizabeth becomes comfortable in her role (or “taller” as Philip declares), their marriage takes a back seat. Not knowing that Eisenhower isn’t arriving is very telling.

3. Keeping everything “the way it’s always been”? Wow. Holy freakin’ crap wow. As somebody upthread said, you can see Elizabeth silently ruffled by it. It’ll be interesting to see how her viewpoint changes as the series continues.

Boy howdy. Episode one seemed like nothing but the rather gruesome story of a man dying from lung cancer. I really can’t decide if I should keep going.

In general, European royals got to education late. Juan Carlos I was the first King of Spain to get a tertiary education, which in his case was at the General Military Academy; Felipe is the first one to have a degree from a regular university but he’s kind of made up for lost time (he also has postgraduate degrees and the degree from the GMA).

Just finished the last episode. I knew the basics of it, but boy does

Princess Margaret get treated really, really badly or what? Were there no other options? Marriage in the Church of Scotland? Just continue as a couple without getting married?

Some thoughts…

Don’t wait to watch the show. I’ve seen news articles that indicate the ratings numbers for this show weren’t that great. The more people who view it, the more likelihood of the show making it to next season, much less all 6.

It’s funny how people are worried about spoilers regarding a show based on history. It’s like going to see Titanic & not wanting to know that the ship sinks. :wink:

I agree on the wonderful casting. I enjoy film & television programs more if the actors are people who I don’t know or recognize. I’m much more likely to see their character rather than the actors themselves.

alphaboi867, you owe me a new keyboard!

I thought it was fairly daring to show that

the Queen was into blow jobs.

Lithgow ate the scenery in every scene he was in, of course. Great character portrayal.

Marriage in the Church of Scotland would’ve been legally permissible*, but politically unfeasible (at least in Churchill’s opinion). It’s ironic that Churchill supported Edward VIII during the Abdication Crisis, but when his niece was faced with more or less the same dilemma wanted to force her to accept the same deal her uncle ended up with.

*Princess Anne held her 2nd wedding in the Church of Scotland due to her divorce and it was considered as option for Charles & Camila (Charles insisted on marrying in England, hence the civil marriage).

Only seen the first three episodes, but I like how it shows their relationship. Everyone knows Elizabeth, but how many people know much about Phillip?

I could have managed taking my wife’s famous last name but dude, having to walk behind her would have sucked!

I’ve just taken this up and am REALLY enjoying it. I just finished Ep 6 and really like how it portrays the job of ruling (and the mundane-ness of a lot of it).

This is interesting to me. I’ve watched the first two episodes now, and I’m enjoying most characters, especially that amazing Churchill. But Phillip’s every moment on screen is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me: I loathe him, and not in the fun way that I loathe Kilgrave or Tony Soprano. He’s just a superficially charming entitled douchebag, and he very nearly ruins the show for me.

Opinions clearly differ :).

That basically defines Prince Philip to a T.

I’ve seen all the episodes and found it fascinating. I never had a lot of use for Philip, they seem to have portrayed a bit more intelligence and depth than I thought that he had. Margaret really got the short end of the stick- by the time of her proposed marriage, she was already behind Charles and Anne so keeping her place in succession seemed to be academic. Why they couldn’t just marry in another country and live off his income seemed a better option to me. Queen Mary was a hoot, but one of the most chilling scenes was Elizabeth’s horror at seeing her grandmother kneel before her for the first time after George’s death. Edward was well portrayed as the whiny entitled little bitch that he was. Lithgow was amazing as Churchill, maybe if it was done 50 years ago Arthur Brough could have done better. I was surprised Elizabeth’s mother apparently wasn’t as warm as I thought she was. Finally, Elizabeth was amazing. It will be interesting to see if they get someone else to play her in succeeding decades or if they can make Claire Foy up to look old. Creepy moment of the series- Philip suggesting that the Queen get on her knees for him. Ewwww!

Yeah, I went in knowing that, a little. Doesn’t mean I enjoy watching it :).