Netflix's The Crown

Is anyone else watching The Crown? I started last night and an up to episode 3. This is really good. The casting is superb. If you loved The Audience you’ll love this.

I always knew Prince Philip was a Time Lord!

I’ve been enjoying it, but have not wanted to start a thread so as to maintain the illusion that I didn’t binge-watch most of it this weekend.

I haven’t watched it yet, but I’ll give it a look based on y’all’s* comments.

*Yes, that is a real word.

I’m on episode 6 and quite enjoying it. It does seem that a good portion of the budget went to buying cigarettes :grinning:.

I’m enjoying it. It’s easy to see where the rumoured $100 million production cost has been spent, the thing looks incredible. John Lithgow as Churchill is an inspired bit of casting.

I’m devouring it at the moment, only have two episodes to go. Amazing acting, particularly the Queen herself.

Episode 7 was terrific.

Haven’t watched it yet. Tom & Lorenzo recommended it.

Sounds like just the thing for some post-Election bingeing…

Only watched 2 episodes so far and I’m really enjoying it, especially Matt Smith’s portrayal of Philip. Also Jared Harris’s George. The role of Elizabeth feels a bit miscast but I can’t really think who would do it better.

I haven’t seen this since I don’t have Netflix but after seeing her Anne Boleyn in Wolf Hall, I can see why Claire Foy would be a good bet for this Queen. Another possibility might have been Andrea Riseborough, who was brilliant on TV as the young Margaret Thatcher, and is clearly very good at capturing the timbre of other people’s voices as well as their mannerisms.

I’m finding Churchill more fascinating than the Queen. Episode 9 tells a particularly moving story about him that I didn’t know.

I’m midway through Episode 5, and while I’m enjoying it, I also have to agree with the review on Slate- This is a show about nothing. Each episode has a conflict, and a decision for Elisabeth to make, and the decision is always to do… nothing. (Or at least to follow tradition). That said, Churchill is very well done, and Lithgow does a typically excellent job. I think that Edward is also fascinating- a sympathetic portrait of a not particularly nice man- and perhaps an object lesson on what happens when the monarch actually does do something.

We devoured the entire season over the weekend. It’s quite, quite lovely!

I agree Lithgow as Churchill is inspired; along these lines, the actor playing Prime Minister Anthony Eden is a dead ringer for Eden – eerie. Prince Phillip is pretty close as well.

I’m dying to ask a threadspoiler question about Eden’s personal life, but I’ll wait for a spoiler thread :smiley:

I searched over the weekend for a thread on this show, and was surprised that there wasn’t one yet. I’ve already binged on six episodes. It’s so beautifully done, and I think the slow, stately speed captures what the monarchy is all about, providing stability through political and historical changes.

Jeremy Northam, one of my favorite actors from British historical dramas. His picture from Wikipedia is hysterical – he’s much more recognizable looking like this.

We are up to episode 5. Excellent production, excellent writing, acting, directing, casting. It seems like it is all about Elizabeth, but I like that it pulls Edward in significantly - after all, it is titled “The Crown”.

Minor quibbles -
Yes everyone smoked back then, a LOT, but I think they overplay it just a hair in this production.

George exhibits only the tiniest occasional hesitation in speaking. Ever since The King’s Speech we have had an expectation set of a much more pronounced stutter for this person. IMHO, because of this, the absence of a stutter in this production calls attention to itself. I’m left wondering, OK - which is more accurate?

Not really a contradiction: The King’s Speech is about the period when the King worked with his speech therapist, Lionel Logue, who by all accounts was largely successful in helping to improve his speech. The events of The Crown take place over 15 years later, by which time his speech was much better.

[Quibble quibble quibble] There are flashback scenes with him and the girls as small children, so those scenes would overlap with the movie time period.[/Quibble quibble quibble]

You folks know you’re in for the long haul with this - probably six seasons in all :slight_smile:

Just started watching it. Only got through a little of the first episode because I have some work to do (drat!). I was surprised to see King George played by Jared Harris, the ill-fated Lane Pryce of Mad Men’s Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce.

Looking forward to immersing myself in it when this election is over.

I see they are making 6 seasons, taking the Queen from rather young up to the present day.

I am wondering if I should wait until a few seasons hit Netflix or just start now.

Was it really that interesting? I kind of need a show and am not sure.

Well, watch the first half hour or so and see if you’re “hooked.”