NetMind commits suicide

http://www.netmind.com/ is a site that provided a fairly cool free service called “Mind-it”. You sign up pages of your site, then put a little form on the page that allows people to sign up to be notified whenever that page changed. I have it on a handful of pages in my own site. I know people who have it on every page of their site.

Sort of handy, nothing mind-blowing or necessary, but fairly cool.

Well today they sent out mail to all of us webmasters who use their service. They’ve decided to charge webmasters who use it on their sites. How much would you pay? I’d not pay anything, but certainly nothing more than, say, $4/month or so.

They’re charging…
$795 US per year.

That isn’t a typo. That’s almost eight hundred dollars a year. That’s over $66/month.

ARE THEY INSANE???

Is there anyone out there who would pay this?? ANYONE?

My prediction: watch sites like cgi-resources.com and see free perl scripts pop up left and right to install this type of service directly on your own site. Other services will jump in to provide this service. NetMind will backpedal like mad or go out of business. Yahoo will buy NetMind and trash the service completely.

Holy Crimini! Almost $800 Now I’m glad I DIDN’T put it on my site. I use it to check out a few other sites that I like to keep an eye on but… There is NO way I’d pay that much.

Suicide is too mild of a word. Dive bombing into the deepest abyss is more like it.