Nevada annulment?

Ok so me and a good girl friend of mine are going to make a trip down the vegas and get married just to say we did it. and what I would like to know is what does it take to get a marrage annuled?

thanks for all the help!

Much as I’ve been tempted to do so with women I’ve been to Vegas with, I never went through with it. Marriage is an institution that is not to be taken lightly. It’s a legally binding contract between two people, not a joke. A Nevada marriage is no less binding than that of any other state, and it doesn’t relieve you from the responsibilities and consequences of the act.

Do you want to be responsible for alimony? Child support? Want to see some of your posessions go bye-bye through the division of the estate?

Don’t get married, okay?

well there wont be an estate… there are not kids… and there will be no alimony. I just want to marry and then part ways and stay friends. its all mutual.

I should add this also we have been friends for abut three years now and we just want to freak people out and suprise our friends.

It seems to be a rather pointless venture, and your relatives and friends may take exception to your seeming mockery of the institution of marriage.

But it’s your life:

Valid reasons for annuling marriages in Nevada

You can even get your annulment online.

Well do it if you must … but just remember that come the day you meet The Woman Of Your Dreams, and she finds out you got married “just for a laugh”, you probably won’t see her for dust!

Ah well, it’s your life … :rolleyes:

Julie

Don’t get married just so that you can say you married her. The whole point of marriage is that you intend to spend the rest of your life together.

Finally, something I can speak to from experience.

I met a woman in Tokyo while I was working there. We hit it off, had some laughs, and parted ways when my contract expired. About 6 months after I had returned stateside, “Jade” came to visit. We toured around, had some fun and when her visa expired I suggested we get a quick Nevada marriage so she could realize her goals of making it in the US as an illustrator. There were to be no strings, no commitments- this was strictly a favor.

We went to Reno and did the deed.

That was 19 years, two kids, and three houses ago.

All I can say is that things change once you put that ring on. If you want to do something just so you can say “I did it,” you’d be better off if you tried walking on hot coals, eating at an unlicensed fugu restaurant, or robbing a Seven-11 store together.

As others have said, it’s your life. I say don’t do it.

If your goal is just to freak out the relatives, then why bother with the wedding at all? Just say that you did it. But be careful there, too: In some states, as I understand it, representing yourself as married is, in itself, considered a marriage.

And are you sure of this young woman’s intentions? What if, after the Elvis impersonator finishes the ceremony, she doesn’t agree about the annulment? Maybe you could get it pushed through unilaterally, but that’s likely to cost you some hefty lawyer fees at best.

IANAL, I don’t know what state you’re in, and I don’t know what the relevant law is in your state or in Nevada. If you really insist on going through with this, I would strongly advise you to get professional advice (you know, the kind you pay for) from lawyers licensed in both your own state and in Nevada. If the young woman is intending a trap, she probably already has done so.

If your goal is just to freak out the relatives, then why bother with the wedding at all? Just say that you did it. But be careful there, too: In some states, as I understand it, representing yourself as married is, in itself, considered a marriage.

And are you sure of this young woman’s intentions? What if, after the Elvis impersonator finishes the ceremony, she doesn’t agree about the annulment? Maybe you could get it pushed through unilaterally, but that’s likely to cost you some hefty lawyer fees at best.

IANAL, I don’t know what state you’re in, and I don’t know what the relevant law is in your state or in Nevada. If you really insist on going through with this, I would strongly advise you to get professional advice (you know, the kind you pay for) from lawyers licensed in both your own state and in Nevada. If the young woman is intending a trap, she probably already has done so.

I got married the first time so that my girlfriend could take advantage of my health insurance. No commitment, no future, just a pragmatic business arrangement. It all fell apart very soon thereafter and five years later it had cost me well over $60,000 in lawyer’s fees, division of assets, and supporting her lazy ass.

Once she got that ring on her finger, it was no longer a pragmatic deal to help her get healthy. It became a real marriage to her. And I got hosed.

Still, I advise you to go ahead and marry her. It will teach you a lesson you will never forget.

Much easier solution: Not telling the Truth.

Make up a story. Much cheaper and easier. Just go to one of the many wedding chapels and get a matchbook with the name of the joint.