Never have I ever (seen anyone put their groceries into the bed of their pickup truck)

Trucks are the main thing on the roads around here.

Yes, there are obnoxious red-neck guys with the big loud trucks. It’s not the norm, at all. For one thing people are too poor to buy one, too poor to insure them or too poor to buy gas for them. We won’t start on the tires. Big bad ass truck gotta have big bad ass tires, ya know! And they cost a pretty penny.

A truck is handy if you have animals and buy feed. Or if you do any kind of work, really.

When I was painting murals I drove a little Ford ranger. I zipped allover the place in that thing. Never had to have paints or cleaners or any part of my climbing apparatus inside with me.

Handy as a hoodie pocket.

My uncle lives in the Dallas area and says that, down there, they call those huge, luxurious, super expensive pickups, “Texas Cadillacs”.

Easily understandable and a good idea. What weirds me out is the people who own them and commute back and forth to work in them without ever hauling anything. The house across the street from me has 2 of them parked there every night. I’ve never seen anything in the bed of either truck coming or going.

Overall the truck is meant for utility. But yeah there are people who think differently.

What’re ya gonna do? Peeps is weird.

That reminds me, i should buy a bungee cord to hold grocery bags in place in the back of the car.

(mmm adds this to list of sentences he’s never seen before)

It’s been more than twenty years since I last put my groceries in the bed of a pickup. I honestly couldn’t tell you why I stopped doing it.

Back in the day, we used to have humans riding in the back of the truck.

That’s pretty normal where I come from.

When I was a kid, we’d ride in the cab while the groceries and the Brasero program workers rode in the back.

Even when I lived in big cities, it was far more convenient to carry the groceries in the back than in front.

Unless the groceries consisted of one or two items (a Dr Pepper and a candy bar), they went in the back.

I have one of those, but don’t use it very often. With a portable air tank and a 16 foot ladder in my trunk, the groceries pretty much stay in place.

When I was a kid, the local grocery store would save the boxes that everything came in. When the cashier range up the purchase, he or she would select a box the right size to put the groceries in.

It worked out very nice. I wish they still did that.

That’s a big trunk.

It collapses down to about three feet long.

Something like this:

The reason I keep it in my trunk is to keep my nephew from using it. It is much less sturdy than the 12 foot ladders. The first time my nephew was going to use it, he wanted to lean it against a building and stand on the top step! If he doesn’t know where it is, he can’t do it.

He ended up using a 12 foot ladder (also collapsible) and walk up the roof.

My ex used to have a small pickup with a tonneau cover and the bed was the only place to put anything. The cover kept stuff from getting rained on or flying out. In various sedans, I used to keep empty boxes to put the bags in to keep from sliding around too much but I got lazy. We might have done that in the truck too, but it’s been decades and I don’t remember.

I got a new base model Nissan Hardbody in 1990 because it was a reliable engine and 4 wheels for $7,000. My work didn’t require it (worked in a bank at the time), and never cared about looking any sort of way to someone else. I was eventually glad on numerous occasions to be able to do some truck stuff without having to bother someone else. It did help me feel macho in a “responsible adult who commutes to work to earn an income for his family” kind of way though.

Groceries absolutely went into the truck bed. Otherwise they’d jumble around the cabin and interfere with my pedal work.