Never have I ever (seen anyone put their groceries into the bed of their pickup truck)

…seen anyone put their groceries into the bed of of their pickup truck.

That struck me as odd, last night at 3am.

Yes, pretty common in rural areas from my experience. Not so much in urban areas where pick ups are just SUVs with an uncovered storage area.

That checks out.

My (ex) wife did this. This was the truck she hauled sheep in. And never cleaned the bed out afterward.

So, that’s how sheep shit ended up in my refrigerator.

She also didn’t wipe her feet. That’s how it ended up all over the rest of the house.

I’ve done it myself, especially when there are a lot of bags, or big items like dog food or bottled water.

I used to do this. I’d just have a container I kept in teh bed that was tied down, and I’d put the groceries in that.

I mean, I have a sedan, not a pickup, but I never put groceries in my trunk. The passenger seat works just fine, and is much more easily accessible.

Your life seems to be far more exciting than mine.

If you need someone to fill your refrigerator with feces just holla at your boy.

I used to help out a lot on a buddy’s farm. One of the farm trucks (there were about three) was a Chevy S-10. Like all S-10s, it wasn’t big, so if there were two of you using it to go to town for groceries, the groceries were going in the truck bed.

Common ordinary thing around these parts.

Not so much at 3am. Grocery stores are closed.

Why were you at the grocery store at 3am?

I got a cross-over, which has a quasi-trunk (there is a removable thingy that can be used to cover the back). It is a pretty wide vehicle that needs some butter to get into the garage. And the garage can be sort of a busy place, which makes accessing the back easier than getting groceries out from the side. I mean, it is not quite like a pickup (ridiculously more comfortable) but it is more like a pickup than anything I have had, at least since the Brat.

In winter in northern climates, the trunk is a great place for groceries. And with the car parked in the garage, I find that the trunk is actually more accessible than the back seat.

The only problem with the trunk is that my flat-bottomed grocery bags are liable to tip over unless braced by something heavy like a case of pop or bottled water.

At some point, maybe twenty or so years ago, Superstore sold shopping bins. Much like the “oh, I only need a few things, and I don’t need a large shopping cart” bins you might use at the supermarket today, as you walk in. They were trying to urge customers to “go green,” and not use plastic shopping bags at the checkout.

We bought a few of them, and I still use them today. Great for holding potentially-tippy bags in place in the back of the car, or for just plain walking into the supermarket with. I don’t know if they’re still available from Superstore, but you might try garage sales, rummage sales and similar.

I remember those bins – they came from Loblaws, the parent company of Superstore and all the other spin-off brands. I had a few of them, and they were quite convenient. Not sure why they were discontinued. I use Pusateri’s bags, which are quite large, insulated, and can be zipped closed. They’re pretty stable when leaned back on a car seat, not so much in the trunk without some support.

My car trunk has hooks built into the plastic around the perimeter for the handles of grocery bags. Probably designed for plastic bags, but they work fine with reusable cloth bags too.

What strikes me as odd is why, other than a worker who hauls stuff or a young guy who wants to look macho, would anyone would want to own one.

You and me both. People seem to love them. Go figure.

I was thinking that grocery bags in a pickup truck bed would slide around on the way home, perhaps to a spot hard to reach from the side.

Back when they still asked “paper or plastic” at grocery stores I would get the traditional paper grocery sacks and put them just inside the tailgate and they were always still in place when I got home. The one time they weren’t was when I had to slam on my brakes because a dog ran in front of me. But that was one time in many years. As long as you don’t drive like a maniac they stay where you put them.

But not so with the flimsy plastic bags.