New Firewire card causes sound card to not be recognized.

I installed a new Firewire IEEE 1394A Card into a PCI Soyo motherboard. This caused the SoundBlaster XtremeGamer sound card to no longer be recognized by Windows XP Pro. Pulled out the Firewire card and the sound card was recognized again.

Is there a workaround that would allow me to have both Firewire capability and sound at the same time or do I just need to throw the computer out the window and buy a new one? In fact, shouldn’t I just plan on buying a new computer every time I want to add anything to my system so I won’t have to keep wasting my life on shit like this? :mad:

Sounds like it might be an IRQ conflict, meaning that both are trying to talk to the CPU on the same interrupt. The latest one to “register” for the IRQ # is the only one able to talk to the CPU at a given time, and so the firewire was more or less “blocking” the sound card from operating.

In order to properly diagnose, install the Firewire card and then go to the Device Manager, which you can get to by right clicking on “My Computer” and selecting “Properties”. Within the “System Properties” window that pops up, click on the “Hardware” tab and then the button for “Device Manager”. If you don’t already know what the device manager does this is a good time to start. It lists all of your hardware devices and how they are configured.

To specifically check your problem, find where the firewire card and the Sound card are listed. Firewire should be under a “Firewire” node, just click the plus sign and you should see it. For the sound card, look under “Sound, video and game controllers” and find the entry that mentions your sound card. If there is a conflict, one of these will have an exclamation mark next to it. If you don’t see anything like that, then the issue is something else.

Upon putting the Firewire card back in, I find I no longer have the problem. The sound card is recognized under Control Panels>Sounds and Audio Devices and the Firewire connection is working.

But while we’re on the subject of Device Manager and what it does, I noticed when I looked that there is a yellow question mark with a yellow circle containing an exclamation mark on top of it for ‘WD SES Device USB Device’ under the ‘Other devices’ node. This must be the Western Digital My Book USB hard drive I have hooked up. Every time I boot up, WindowsXP wants to find hardware for it.

When I first installed the My Book, I found that it came with some clunky backup software that I didn’t want, so I Quick Formatted the drive to clear it out. Then I moved a bunch of files onto it. It works as I can access the files on it just fine. Yet when I double click on it’s entry in Device Manger on the General Tab under Device status it says, “This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1). To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver”. It’s an external hard drive. Why does Windows think it needs a driver?

All devices need a driver. Incorrect drivers can cause non operation or limited functionality of the device.

Device drivers allow the interface of the devices into the operating system using standardized access points and formats. It’s up to the device manufacturer to make sure they write drivers that interface the hardware correctly into the operating system. Programs will use the standard calls for devices through the operating system and don’t have to worry about the hardware interface aspect.

It sounds like Windows has defaulted to a generic driver that may or may not use all of the functionality your hard drive has to offer. Things like diagnostic signals, monitoring, etc. may be built-in to the official driver but not to the one you’ve installed. You are probably fine as of now since you are able to transfer files to and from the device, but you should consider installing the proper driver so that you avoid any potential problems down the road.