Set could not detect my SoundBlaster audio card.

I am trying to install drivers for my old Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS card on my WindowsXP installation. I’ve tried a downloaded version as well as the original CD that came with the card but I keep getting the error: “Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 on your system.” Although the card is there (I’ve tried moving it to other slots) and has been for years.

In Device Manager, under Other devices (with yellow question mark) shows Multimedia Audio Controller (with Yellow question mark). Clicking on the latter, Device status indicates, “The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)”. So it looks like Windows sees the device but not the installer, or?

I was doing some hard drive swapping earlier, but when I put in the original HD, with which the sound card had been working fine, the issue arose.

Why won’t the installer recognize the card?

The OP in this thread solved the same problem by making PnP set to Disabled.

Here’s another thread with solutions.

Thanks for the reply. PnP is disabled and I had actually already found that second thread. The fellow in that thread found a driver that worked for him, but I can’t get to it through that old link. I have tried two other downloaded drivers from Creative’s website and the original driver from the CD. All give the error that the card can’t be detected.

If the card is kaput, how would I know? Would it still show up (with the yellow ?) under “Other devices”?

Also, in Device Manager, under “Sound, video and game controllers” I see “Creative SB X-Fi” among others. I click on it and get it’s Properties box and under “Device status” it reads, “The device is working properly”. If only.

If the device is in Device Manager, try right-clicking on it and selecting “Update Driver” or “Install Driver.” It’s been a long time since I’ve used WinXP, but somewhere in the following dialog there should be a “Have Disk” button. Click on that and then point the dialog to either your downloaded driver or the one on the disc.

Have you tried uninstalling that, then rebooting and letting Windows redetect the card on start up?

It could also be the card has gone kaput, if at all possible try installing it in a different system and see if you can get it properly installed there, just to make sure it does work.

Another vote from me for “card has gone kaput”. Verify it works before spending any more time fiddling with drivers.

Life’s too short. The card was old. I got the value out of it, so I tossed it and put in a new one.

Thanks to everyone who answered.