New-ish "free speech" app, Parler

Highlights the bankrupt grifters woe is me handout mentality that has infected the so called “right wing media” pathetically repeated mindlessly by some in this thread foolishly parroting absurd grifter spin.

Remember, boys and girls, gratuitous assertions about what would theoretically happen under hypothetical circumstances are just as good as actual evidence, just like the ancient Greek philosophers said*!

*(Note: This is an Enlightenment-era stereotype of how ancient Greek philosophers thought. Actual ancient Greek philosophers may vary.)

There was courtroom time today:

Attorney David Groesbeck, who is representing Parler, had not responded to requests for comment and his website redirects to an “under construction” page.

Sounds like Parler has managed to get a top class lawyer to represent them. :grinning:

Amazon’s court response:

There some examples of the calls to violence in the filing. Some classy folks there. For example:

After the firing squads are done with the politicians the teachers are next.

I am reminded of an incel nursing his feelings of victimization by convincing himself that some sort of universal feminine conspiarcy is preventing him from getting laid.

That’s only true for Mike Greenman:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theonion.com/attractive-girls-union-refuses-to-enter-into-talks-with-1819594753/amp

Parler is gone? Parlor will finally have its day. :smile:

Damn it, it shoulda been a super freaky, atheist Muslim, fascist communist, hook-up site…

How many people will be stupid enough to trust the new Parler after the data leak exposed so many of them to identification?

(As an aside, having every post numbered incrementally was what allowed “deleted” posts to be read. Just change the digit in the URL. So if the 5,786th post is no longer indexed, just manually type in the URL and it is viewable. Back in the early days of e-commerce, I noticed that the order receipts at staples.com were numbered that simply–all I had to do to view other people’s orders was change numbers in the end of the address for my receipt. I e-mailed Staples and pointed it out to them, they thanked me and gave me a IIRC $50 gift certificate.)

“It’s hard to keep track of how many people are telling us that we can no longer do business with them,” said Matze.

Wired had an article on what actually happened with the data grab:

In short, the initial reports of creating millions of admin accounts, etc. were inaccurate.

Parler’s cardinal security sin is known as an insecure direct object reference, says Kenneth White, codirector of the Open Crypto Audit Project, who looked at the code of the download tool @donk_enby posted online. An IDOR occurs when a hacker can simply guess the pattern an application uses to refer to its stored data. In this case, the posts on Parler were simply listed in chronological order: Increase a value in a Parler post url by one, and you’d get the next post that appeared on the site. Parler also doesn’t require authentication to view public posts and doesn’t use any sort of “rate limiting” that would cut off anyone accessing too many posts too quickly.

Despite Parler’s security woes, @donk_enby was careful to counter rumors that hackers had accessed all Parler information, including the images of driver’s licenses that Parler asks users to submit if they want a verified account. “Only things that were available publicly via the web were archived,” @donk_enby wrote in a Twitter post. A Reddit rumor that hackers gained access to more private data on the site—due to SMS provider Twilio cutting ties with Parler and disabling its two-factor authentication—was “bullshit,” @donk_enby confirmed in a message to WIRED.

That’s hilarious. I knew from reading her posts about it that it wasn’t going to be some high-level hack but rather something reasonably straightforward (particularly because she stressed it was only public information she gathered, and I believed her), but I didn’t think it was going to be that straightforward.

But did they fix it, or just send you $50 in hush money?

I’m sure they have by now, 20 years later. How long they took, I don’t know.

What of the claim that they obtained full-meta-data images including geotags?

That appears to be true. In fact it appears to put the Parler authors in an even worse light, since it wasn’t just supposedly private original images that had the EXIF data–the public images had it. People have already made GPS maps of the photo positions:

From a technical standpoint, it wasn’t a hack at all. It was a scrape.

A very large scale scrape, but still just a scrape.

Pirate Bay Founder Thinks Parler’s Inability to Stay Online Is ‘Embarrassing’

“In all honesty, the reason we did The Pirate Bay was to bring freedom and take back control from a centralised system,” Kolmisoppi said. “The reason that Gab et al will fail is because they’re just whining bitches that have only one ideology: egotism. Sharing is caring y’all.”
:smile:

Funny, but I note that article obliviously links to an April Fools joke as a citation for the Pirate Bay’s evasive creativity.