New Message Board

The mods have explicitly said that they want us to say “reported” just so they don’t get multiple reports about the same thread.

Really? I thought I’d read that getting multiple reports can be useful: If one thread is getting a shit ton of reports they know it’s serious and will prioritize it accordingly.

Multiple reports of a spam thread would be annoying. Multiple reports of so and so is making an ass of himself probably makes it more of a priority.

It was my understanding that if you wanted to advertise something you were to ask permission of the mods by either making a thread in ATMB or sending a PM. Just making a thread with a link is rather tacky and smacks of, Don’t stay here, go to this place which is cooler." in my opinion.

One report, by a reliable reporter, is enough. There are some posters who seem to think that disagreeing with them is some sort of rule violation, though, and we (the mod staff) quickly learn who these posters are. For example, Right Wing Nut will report Left Wing Nut, and vice versa, just because they don’t agree on certain issues.

It’s VERY helpful to note why you think a post or thread is in violation, though. Just a note like “spam” or “troll” helps. But you don’t have to give a reason.

If you’re wondering, we only get a link in the mail, we don’t get a copy of the post.

especially considering that a giraffe has 6 and a half limbs.

Are these “hall monitor points™” redeemable? I can has prizes?

I fully support the creation of this new board. If the OP uses his new forum to get all these types of threads out of his system, i think it will be a positive development for the SDMB.

That’s a rehash of one he started here a year or so ago.

When someone keeps coming back here to drive traffic to a new board, we will ask them to refrain from doing that. Otherwise we allow it.

In general, yes, you should ask in advance. And yes, I agree, it’s tacky. We have, however, allowed the announcement of spin-off boards before, and I didn’t see a reason to reflexively close this one.

Further discussion of what the rules are around this issue, and your opinion of those rules, should be moved to ATMB, please. This thread is for the announcement of the new board. If no one has anything to say about that, we can let the thread die.

Sure would like to know what the name means.

Well, just putting the word “reported” in a thread can earn you an official warning.

Sometimes.

If you’re the right poster. It’s a risky act.

Oops. I await my punishment.

Be gentle.

This is not actually true. You were warned for threadshitting. Gfactor specifically said he was not warning you for saying “reported.”

Are you going to use that ginormous portrait of Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz every single time you post? It seems rather pretentious and wastes a hell of a lot of space.

SILENCE!

Now zip up your jumpsuit and get in formation!

In your very first post in your History section, you ask people how they would vote in 56 different elections-not a very welcome intro, and it looks like you are doing nothing more than bragging about your knowledge of history, in my opinion. Also, it’s like dedicating a single thread to discussing the entirety of American history.

Well, it’s only been around for like 200 years and change. How much history can one acquire in that time frame, really?

You really want to start this shit again? You made an idiot out of yourself trying to justify the ways you and Gfactor manufactured a tortured warning for me out of little more than nothing, but if you really want to get into it again, open up up a Pit thread and let’s go.

Casey, here’s your chance to show us how you’d handle mod/poster disputes. Wow us!

And in the post you cited, **Gfactor **says of my writing “reported”: "announcing you’ve reported a post is ok when it is a spam post. Doing it in other circumstances is junior modding and possibly trolling. I’m not issuing you a warning, for this, but please cut it out. " So writing “reported” in the current circumstances is also “junior moding and possibly trolling” since it is not in regard to a spam post, which he maintains is the only acceptable use of that locution.