New Starbucks "Smoked Butterscotch" drink review

For the record, while I like Starbucks coffee I very rarely get the frappuccinos. They’re totally loaded with sugar, which I try to keep my intake of very limited for the most part. But today I was feeling saucy, and craving that blend of caffeine + something sweet + something cold and mushy and set out with the intention of getting a caramel frappuccino as a rare treat and dietary cheat.

When I got to the Starbucks drive-thru, they were advertising a new drink called the “Smoked Butterscotch Latte”, available either as a hot drink or a frappuccino. I decided in the moment I’d give it a try instead.

Well, I’ve never actually heard of smoked butterscotch before, but it tastes exactly like it sounds. “Smoked” can be a great flavor for meats and cheeses and such. But for something sweet and syrupy like butterscotch, especially in a cold drink, “smokiness” is just not a taste I want to add to that. It almost tasted like I was drinking something that had been burned. Maybe it works better in the hot version of the drink, but I won’t bother trying it. It was not good.

I give it 2 stars out of 5, only because it wasn’t the worst thing ever. While I’m sure it might be appealing to someone out there, I would not recommend.

I have heard it was Starbucks attempt to make a “Butterbeer” flavour? The hot drink wasn’t awesome either. I had it on cheat day and found all of the flavour at the bottom of the cup.

I miss the salted caramel mocha (my usual cheat drink). In the summer, I like the Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frap (but only on cheat day, that sucker is loaded).

I’ve had it a few times in a hot latte version. I thought it was good, not overly sweet. I don’t know if I’d call it a smoked flavor but more like a carmelized flavor.
I prefer it over their carmel flavoring. More of a smooth buttery taste than sugar.

All Starbucks’ fancy drinks have a greasy-smoky aftertaste, to me. Not even like something they put in there on purpose, more like I just licked the pole at an old barber shop full of overflowing ash trays. I hate to imagine what it’s like when they’re *trying *to make it “smoky”.

I had the hot version and thought it was ok but nothing special. It’s just a minor (VERY MINOR) tweak on the Caramel Macchiato. And yes, all of the flavor tended to collect at the bottom of the cup.

Tried the Frap version. It was OK for about half the drink then the smoke flavor got to be waaaaay too much.

I tried the frozen version. It sort of reminded me of a toasted marshmallow. I probably wouldn’t order it again, but it wasn’t gross or vile or anything. There are just other things I like better that I’d order instead. I do not regret trying it. I suspect it might have been better as a hot drink, but don’t intend to test that theory.

Edit: I did not have the problem of the smoke flavor concentrating towards the end as others have reported in their drinks.

Yeah, weird aftertaste. I didn’t care for it, and I like most sweet drinks.

I should try this. Toasted Marshmallow (i.e.: “Campfire Mocha”) was my go-to at the Caribou Coffee that was across from our satellite office.