NEW Stupid Republican Idea of the Day (Part 1)

Y’all talkin’ ‘bout Empty G?

Not sure if this belongs in the War on Voting thread. But it IS stupid, so here it goes.

Note that this is about the Texas Legislature.

Republicans in the Texas Senate advanced a redistricting plan Friday over objections from Democrats who complained that it pits the only two Black members of Congress from Houston against one another, takes important military bases out of Democratic districts and will not create any more minority-majority districts —even though the state’s growth over the past 10 years is largely a result of an increase in Hispanic residents.

The plan creates new congressional districts in 2022 for Houston and Austin while increasing the number of Texas Republicans likely to go to Congress. And it improves the re-election chances of virtually every Republican in the state’s delegation.

For three hours, Hispanic and Black Democrats in the Texas Senate took turns questioning how [State Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston] Huffman’s “blind to race” map could ignore the state’s shifting demographics. While Texas now has roughly equal proportions of Hispanic and Anglo residents, there are nearly twice as many majority-Anglo congressional districts (19) as majority-Hispanic districts (10). The new congressional maps do not create any new district where those voters are a majority.

“Frankly, it is very simple to describe what the Senate Republican majority has done here: racism,” state Sen. Roland Gutierrez, D-San Antonio, said after the maps passed.

State Sen. Borris Miles, D-Houston, noted that of all the 36 Texans in Congress, Huffman drew a map that pits only two against one another, and they are both Black: Reps. Sheila Jackson Lee and Al Green. And he said 200,000 residents — mostly Black — are being forced to change members of Congress in Houston for no reason.

No Texas member of Congress is being hit harder than Jackson Lee in the redistricting. Under the plan, her 18th Congressional District would lose all of downtown Houston, Texas Southern University, the University of Houston, the Third Ward, and even her own residence, which would be moved to Green’s 9th Congressional District.

My bold.

This is a clear admission by Republicans that they need to cheat to keep the state red.

I don’t think the R’s are even trying to deny that at this point.

After all, it’s the Right thing to do.

“Well, of course we tip the scales a little bit, for the sake of fairness! I mean, if we didn’t do that one side would never win and how fair would that be?”

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s the whole rationale behind their continued support of the Electoral College, “it prevents the rural voters from being dominated by the urban majority.”

An argument which has been uttered on this very board. I continue to call “bullshit.”

Or rather, “it allows the rural voters to continue to dominate the urban majority.”

Allen West, who is unvaccinated, has been taking hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin, and is now going into the hospital.

Hopefully, he gets the medical attention he truly wants.
‘Nurse? I need KY and a 100 watt lightbulb, STAT!’

He was at a packed unmasked dinner just two days ago.

I wonder how many other Republicans he infected?

And the winner of the 2nd Annual Herman Cain Award is…

And when he gets better in the hospital, he tell us it was the hydroxy and the ivermectin that did it.

When the Friends of the American People (FAPpers) are a real thing, I will seriously consider enacting Retirement Plan B.

In a more honest world, they would be called “goon squads” (or in one historical incarnation, brownshirts).

“FreedomFlu” is trending because alt-right Twitter have convinced themselves that Southwest Airlines employees are calling in sick en masse to protest vaccine mandates.

Both the airline and the employee union say no such thing is happening.

Stupidity loves company.

State Senator Wendy Rogers (Q-AZ) read half of a headline about Clark Kent’s son being bisexual in the comics and decided not to bother finding out what she was upset about before letting everyone know.

There’s a lot to unpack there, between getting the entire story wrong, thinking “gay men all talk with a lisp” is still comedy in 2021, and whoever “Louis Lane” is.

Apparently she is wanting Jon Kent to hook up with his own mother?!?

Shouldn’t that be Jon’s brother Ed (short for “Oedipus”)?