NEW Stupid Republican Idea of the Day (Part 2)

Why isn’t he whining about the use of they/them/their/their/theirself/themselves?

Lara Trump is floating the trial balloon that the documents at Biden’s house and office were planted by liberals who don’t want Biden to run in 2024. Doesn’t that mean that that exonerates Biden?

Your doublethink is doubleplusungood. The documents were planted to frame Biden and he’s a criminal who deserves to be thrown in jail for stealing them, whereas the opposite is true of Trump’s case, where the documents were planted to frame him and the government needs to give them back because they’re his property that he declassified with his mind.

It’s all part of Biden’s elaborate master plan to hide the fact that he’s a senile old fool who doesn’t know where he is or what he’s doing and is probably going to keel over dead about two or three years ago.

A bill before the Iowa legislature will severely limit what people on SNAP can purchase.

• No white grains — people can only purchase 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice and 100% whole wheat pasta.
  • No baked, refried or chili beans — people can purchase black, red and pinto beans.
  • No fresh meats — people can purchase only canned products like canned tuna or canned salmon.
  • No sliced, cubed or crumbled cheese. No American cheese.
    No more sliced cheese under Iowa Republicans SNAP proposal - Axios Des Moines

These assholes really do hate poor people.

The Republican Party - We want a government small enough to fit in your vagina and your colon!

Years ago, when I routinely argued with conspiracy theorists, I was always impressed by their ability to see something happening right in front of them, but still manage to draw exactly the wrong conclusions from those things. I got that feeling again reading this:

“It wasn’t just Peter Doocy doing so,” she recalled. “And I said, wait a minute. Something’s happening here. Is this the ploy to make sure that Joe Biden doesn’t run in 2024?”

She sees a White House press corps actually doing their job, asking the hard questions to ensure the President is held accountable to the American public, and she just can’t quite figure out what’s going on. Must be some secret plot, or something.

That seems unamerican.

I think this is a stupid republican idea.

I read this and thought, shouldn’t this be in the stupid liberal idea thread? Because mandating brown rice seems like something a nanny-state “I know what’s best for you” liberal would mandate, not a “the constitution is silent on whole grains” choice (not mandate!) a small government repub would do.

White bread is so American, it defines America! And no American cheese! WTF?

What is their reasoning?

They want to make poor people unhappy.

They resent the fact that a poor person can get a few meals on their dime, so they want those people to eat the shittiest food in the supermarket.

Ya know, I’m reading this and seeing:
*No flour tortillas
*No refried beans
*No ground beef
*(I’m assuming) No shredded cheese.

Sounds to me like they’re trying to make sure you can’t use your SNAP money to buy traditional Mexican food. Let’s see how long it is before they also disallow chili peppers and hot sauce.

Those damn libs are planting classified docs everywhere.

I think you nailed it here.

The funny thing to me is that they’d have some plausible deniability for some of these things in the name of wanting SNAP money to be used for healthier things than white bread and baked beans, but they got greedy by excluding fresh meat while allowing canned fish.
Also, it should be noted that you can use your SNAP money to buy steaks, lobster and even soda and candy. They really don’t have a leg to stand on if they’re using ‘healthy food’ as a reason for any of this when you can’t buy chicken breasts but you can get an entire cake and have that for lunch instead.

Yup. 100%. It’s not a big deal to slice up some cheese and mash some beans for refried. But the goal IS to just make it harder for folks that use SNAP.

I can see the repubs sitting around a table and cackling about this while slapping each other on the back.

Except you’re not allowing for the vindictiveness. “Oh, you lefties are going to make me eat whole wheat bread because it’s ‘healthier’? Well, fine, then I’ll make poor people eat whole wheat bread, because it sucks! Now how do you like it?!?”

Not quite - the idea they’re proposing is to limit SNAP to foods which are WIC-approved.

Which is still stupid and asinine, but not racist.

Yeah, seems incredibly stupid. WIC guidelines AFAICT are geared primarily to the nutritional needs of infants and children, but many people using SNAP benefits are adults. Under these rules, ISTM, they’d be allowed to buy baby food but not cheap ground beef or ramen noodles.

As is so often the case when conservatives try to punitively restrict how poor people may use their government benefits, the resulting arrangement just ends up being more expensive and inefficient.

Indeed - as noted, their plan allows canned salmon but not ground beef. At the store I work at, a 1 lb chub of ground beef is $3.98, whereas a 15 oz can of salmon is $9.02.