New Tattoo

I just got a new tattoo friday. I’m so hyped and have gotten nothing but compliments over it. One of my buddies exclaimed “No you didn’t!” when I showed him. He thinks it’s really nifty :).

Anyway, it’s the chinese character (according to my etymological dictionary) for: to awake, to apprehend, to become conscious, intelligence. In Japanese it can mean: enlightenment (buddhist), understanding. It’s all in black, four inches high and wide and on the back of my right calf. It’s healing nicely, and i have had no scabbing thus far. Everyone I show is surprised at how big it really is. I could have gone bigger but 4 inches is just right for me.

Anyway, just had to share this with y’all. I’m off to bed.

‘The beginning calls for courage; the end demands care’

Congrats!

It will scab (they all do) just don’t pull the scabs off, let them fall off naturally.

I plan on getting another one or two myself.

“She’s nothin but a little lyin’ ass bitch… I know she says she loves you but you know she don’t care…”

WOOHOO a new tattoo. Sorry about the rhyme. I liked getting my tattoo. It tickled almost the whole time. Where did you get it?

Sqrl

Move over Satan. :wink: Now there’s something meatier. http://smallwonder.simplenet.com/COC.html

Actually it hasn’t scabbed at all. It’s peeling
a bit now, and it a little itchy. All in all its
healing very nicely. This one hurt a tad
more than my other one (felt like a burning
sensation), but the back of
the leg is more sensitive than the outer
area of your upper arm. I went to get it at a
studio in a nearby town called “Studio 13”.
Nice place, and the owners are very cool
and nice. The tattooist really gets into the
meanings of tattoos so he was curious
about my motivation for getting it!.

Whoops squrl, i misunderstood what you meant by “where did you get it”. (i’m in a language lab right now and trying to do this quickly while i work!) Anyway its on the back of my right calf, right at the ‘ball’ of the calf, about three inches from the joint.

too kewl I want a tattoo sooo bad but #1 Im chicken #2I wouldnt have a clue what to get.

my X boyfriend was a tattoo artist and he offered me a free tattoo anything i wanted, needless to say I dumped him before he had a chance to give me one, guess i blew that chance huh? Oh well so is life!

Love Always,
Heather Lee
XheatherleeX@aol.com

Congrats!

I have only one tattoo at this moment. It’s on the back of my neck, a very sexy spot if I do say so myself. I plan to get another one in the near future, but I can’t decide of what. I found the spot though.
The thing about girls getting tattooed is that you want to keep from becoming a trashy/trailer-park looking type. For instance, anywhere in the breast area is sooooo completely trashy, in my opinion.

The world is an art, let’s all express.

Hey doob - congrats. I love Chinese characters too. Got a dragon and two Chinese characters representing my name on my left arm. For awhile I told people they translated as “dumb blonde” – ha ha. Heatherlee, don’t be chicken - everyone’s different and it depends on where you get it.
My first was a little painful (lower leg above ankle);people told me that “close to the bone” was painful, but I got a bracelet of flowers all around my left wrist, and it didn’t hurt. Upper arm didn’t hurt at all. Now the dragon on my butt - that’s another story - yikes, talk about pain - never on the butt again. Get to a reputable tattoo place and find one you like and just do it. You’ll like it and want more.

I am glad you like your tatoo, I have two myself. A star and cresant moon on my left hand, and The LIONS name over my left, well my left boob.

If you ever get another persons name put on your body, make darn sure it can be covered up or that you can add something to change it. With Lions name all I have to do is have Ike put over the right one and they are named for a certian candy.

Ayesha - Lioness

You sound reasonable. Must be time to up my medication.

Dont worry about me guys, I know all the do’s and dont’s associated with tattooing lol. Anyway I will NEVER put someones name on my self. I just dont want names, that’s all.

If it’s representing someone it’s going to be a symbol. I’m mostly into the Asian type tattoos, and I thought that in the distant future (cu’z I cant afford this yet), that for a back piece I would like a pine tree, done in chinese style. I even drew one in the style that I have in mind, but this is not for many, many years from now (and that may change). As for now I either want to add on to my newest tatt (like edge it in some color or something), or think of a complimentary design to go on my other leg. However, that can wait a while.

Heatherlee: Don’t worry about the pain too much. Most people who get tatts in the most sensitive of spots (which are usually around joints, sides of your body, inner thighs, inner arms, armpits), still manage to get more. This particular tattoo was a bit more painful because the very top is only about two inches or so from dead center of the back of my knee (one of the more sensitive spots). I definately felt it more than my first (upper arm, outside edge, a relatively painless area (i hardly felt that one)). However, I did not need a break at all and it was finished in under an hour.
Anyway, you do have a point in waiting til you have something in mind. I hear most regrets are either about the quality of the tatt, or that it was an impulse thing.

I just feel the dire need to be the rain on this parade. I hate tattoos, and think they are patheticly trendy, a cry for attention, and enourmously short sighted. But thats just me. A little pointer, everyone you show it to will tell you how cool it is, and how good it turned out because most have enough tact to realize that its going to be there for the rest of your life, and that theres nothing you can do within reason to change that. I however lack this tact, and would tell you that it looks like it was drawn by 12 year old in crayon, or that the design you chose is really lame, and will be out of fashion in 6 months (hello everyone with a carton character on their body). Hypothetically of course.

I’ve worried about the whole trendy thing myself. I thought long and hard about getting a tattoo for 5 years. Of course I started thinking about it in the early 90’s when it became trendy. So I’m a trend-whore, I guess.

BUT! I LOVE what I got. My husband and I got the same symbol tattoo’d on different parts of our body (this is sooo cheesy, but it means a lot to us). It is a blocky (as opposed to ornate or thin-lined) black bird. To us, this symbolizes matrimony and monogamy, as many birds are supposed to symbolize this. I got mine on my left shoulderblade, his on his upper arm. It is about 1" square.

I absolutely wanted it where it would be hidden in typical situations (no ankle, etc.) but not so hidden that I couldn’t show it off with summer clothing (tank tops, etc.). So shoulderblade it is

Oddly, I’m 27 years old and I still care what my parents think. I’ve had it for almost 2 years and I still have avoided situations where they might see it.

And as for the pain, it felt more like…electricity…to me, rather than needles or something. Not too painful, certainly less than I expected.

Omniscient: Well, good for you. So it’s not for you, that’s fine with me.

BUT, here’s my rant:
You may think all that but that doesn’t mean it applies to everyone (and certainly not me). I have not even shown anyone but my friends and family (about 20 people total). No one, except of course friends and family really know I have had a tattoo for over a year (it’s always covered by my t-shirt sleeves), and hardly anyone even knows I have a second. Cry for attention? I think not.

I also started thinking of having a tattoo for several years, even before they became trendy. To say such things Omniscient, would offend MANY people (if you see a Yakuza, or better yet, a Samoan, be sure to tell him how trendy and short sighted his tattoos are).

I did NOT get these tattoos to be trendy. My first one represents my roots (Filipino), and this second one represents what I strive for. If I wanted to be a bad ass and be all trendy I would have done something like getting a big skull and dagger on my arm or something “fierce”. What I have is not something even remotely fierce. Also, this IS (no matter what you think of it) a way to get in touch with my roots. No one even has the specific Kanji I have, so that is hardly a trendy design.

My ancestors, the Visayans tattooed themselves all over, in fact the Spanish called them “pintados” because of their tattoos. My tattoos may not be of Visayan design, but they link me to my heritage through a common medium. Also, if I can, would like to get a Visayan style tattoo in the future (unfortunately with the lack of resources available to me, I haven’t been able to find drawings of them).

These tattoos were not something I chose lightly. I spent over a year and a half deciding on my newest tattoo (close to two years). I spent much of that time agonizing over what I wanted it to mean, and what I wanted it to look like. The first one also started out at least a year prior to getting it done. If I had gotten both to be ‘cool’ I would have got them done the minute I thought of something.

Don’t think for one minute I have not thought about it being with me for a long time. You have to be totally and utterly stupid to think you won’t have these for the rest of your life. That is why I chose the places I did (on the arm, my first is easily covered even by t-shirts. In the work environment, the second is easily covered by trousers. I doubt a translator is going to be going into work with shorts on).

You may have your opinions on tattooing Omniscient, but please, learn to realize not everyone who gets them, gets them to be cool, trendy or gain attention. Don’t make broad generalizations like that. You not only offend others but you look like an ass to those who have put a lot of thought, time and feeling into their designs.

Pare ko, bejo ang tatoo mo ? Bakit nga ? Mayroon maraming mga bagong Pinoy artistas sa San Francisco, ang galing-galing sila ! Mga tatoos ng classical Pinoy alphabet…

Ua pisia i le tagaliu

Jorge: Sorry, but I’m one of those pinoys whose parents never taught him the language! Even my father hardly knows enough to put together sentences! But I kind of get the gist of that :). I noticed a lot more pinoys have been using alibata for tattoos (myself included, which I didn’t know until I came across it on the web recently!). Anyway, it’s unfortunate there are hardly any resources with the designs that were around before the Spanish came in. At least the Kalinga and a few others have kept it up!

The OP refers to Chinese ideograms, so I would like some help. What is the character for dragon? I have found “yen” and “lung”, but everyone (even some Chinese folks) are unsure about how I would express the meaning of “twin red dragon”. I had considered “xi”, but that actually means “twin happiness”. I am now considering doubling one of the characters and having it done in red ink. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have 5 tattoos. The oldest is 10 years. They still look great. The designs are timeless (as in, I did not get I LOVE BON JOVI across my arm). I don’t regret any of them, and hope to get at least one more before I am done. Cry for attention? Hardly. All of mine are covered by clothes. I just like knowing they are there.

“Love given when it is inconvenient is the greatest love of all. Kindnesses that are shared at a high cost to oneself are the most dear.”

Don’t know who said it, but I like it.

Doobieous: I’m not real good at Tagalog, so I hope English will do - HELP! (see above)

Well omni, it’s quite obvious you hate tattoos, but we don’t all get them for the same reasons. I knew before I got mine that some people hate them and associate them with bikers, trash, etc. But I knew that a lot of people like them. I have a male friend who told me outright that he thought women with tattoos looked trashy. Okay. His opinion. We’re still friends. I’ve also had guys start up conversations with me about the tats because they like them. I don’t let them show at work, but I did show one to a couple people there; one guy told me he doesn’t like tats, but he thought it was cool that I’d gotten one because it seemed so unlike me.
Whether I let mine show or not depends on the occasion.

No problem, there… what I’d referred to was that there are several tatoo artists specializing in alibata designs in Daly City. For imagery, go look up photography by Masferre, although that’ll get you Kankan-ey or Tinggian designs, as opposed to Visayan.
William Henry Scott’s book Barangay has some drawings excerpted from the Boxer Codex which show Visayan tatoos; generally geometric designs, mostly alternating triangles, and a few radiant sun images.

According to Spanish chronicler Pigafetta, the Visayans had another body decor perhaps more important to them, as they found the Spaniards lack thereof pretty sad: ornamental dentistry, usually gold pegs drilled into the incisors (again, cf. Scott.

BTW, other excellent Filipino tatoos I’d seen:

• the map of the RP (on a friend’s calf)
  • Philippine eagle (distinctive critter)

Good luck !