Newfoundland-Lab mix (Dog breeds)

To answer the original question, my wife and I just adopted a 5 month old newfie-lab mix and we think he’s great. He seems to have inherited all of the best traits of both breeds. He has the longer soft hair of the newfie, he doesn’t shed much at all, drools only when hot or excited, he has the mellow temperament of the newfie, all in the body size of a lab. He is very good with our toddlers, completely ignores the cats, shows absolutely no food aggression and is completely kennel broke and house trained by 5 months. And as long as we give him a toy to play with once in a while, he leaves everything else alone. He’s beautiful, soft, friendly, playful, and affectionate. We couldn’t ask for a better dog. The only problem we have is that our cocker spaniel hates him… LOL

I would assume you would potentially have a totally awesome dog there. A lot of totally awesome dog. Are you up for the amount of brushing it might take? I’ve brushed out a Newfie. Lovely dogs, awesome dogs, adore them. But oy, it’s a lot of work!

They are such wonderful dogs…we actually were online today looking at photos of different breeds of dogs, and discovered the mix. We haven’t actually considered the mix before for our Molly, and upon doing some research found a photo that we actually mistook for her!! :slight_smile: She is so nurturing. She is has all of the best qualities of both dogs. She has a shorter stature because of the legs that her lab part contributes, but the girth of the Newfie, so it definitely lends to some presumable weight issues and hip issues. She is turning 10 in November. She has some issues with tumors, but so does our other lab so we are figuring that must be her lab part. But as far as personality goes, great dog…definitely one of my best friends, and one of the best mixed breeds anyone could ever ask for. :slight_smile:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jreed/3093995024/sizes/z/in/photostream/

I realize I am replying to an old post, but that’s not why there are so many mutts at the pound.

OK, now we’re closer to agreement.

And invest in a heavy-duty shovel to pick up full-sized poop.

This is the only one of the mixes you were asking about, that I could find at my favorite dog site, dogbreedinfo.com.
There’s no “official” information on the mix, but there’s the personal experience of one owner of that hybrid breed of dog.

Very well put. I haven’t seen any Lab/Neufs. but crosses with Goldens and Flat Coated Retrievers usually have the Lab’s short hair, and yes, they shed, shed, shed twice a year. I find a pin cushion brush the best defense.

As for personality, it depends more on the individual parents and early socialization. Many of my Labs, even a couple whose mother loved living on the lake, wanted nothing to do with water. I usually get a puppy in the fall. They aren’t exposed to a pond or creek until maybe the next summer.

I agree Labs can be strong willed. That is part of the reason they dominate the guide dog world. You need a dog that will refuse a dangerous command. Once trained, strong willed dogs stay on task better.

The latest research suggests the breed has little to do with allergies, http://www.henryford.com/body.cfm?id=46335&action=detail&ref=1405 allergies They can test the saliva individual dogs and determine if they will be a problem. Finding somebody to do such testing now could be a problem.

I rescued a mix that the vet pegs 90% neufie and 10% lab. He is the sweetest most loving dog ever. Very easy to train. Extremely shy, probably because of his abuse history before I adopted him. There is something in his spirit that makes me love him with all of my heart. I have had him for three years and I do protect him from too much stimulation and from people who don’t understand boundaries, because he gets very nervous in those situations, again, I am sure, bc of past abuse.

I understand. There is a dog at the rescue shelter who is a Newfoundland - Lab mix. And you are wondering what kind of dog it would be. First, breeding does matter as far as personality and intelligence in dogs. Sure, they are all individuals, but they are also bred for certain qualities. Labs are generally very intelligent and gentle natured. I believe Newfoundlands are similar. My problem with Newfoundlands is they are so large. I prefer the size of a typical Lab. Both Labs and Newfoundlands love to swim, so you really do need to live near some water. Your dog will appreciate it no end. My Lab could play fetch in the water for hours, until my arm was about to fall off. I think it would probably be a very nice dog. But, in all cases, you do need to go tothe trouble of training it well. A well trained Lab is a great dog! I would do some research, read up on the qualities of both breeds.

HA!

Tell that to the Newfie walks me several times a week.
Think of a 100 pound quivering mass of hairy lab on speed.
She has knocked holes in the sheet rock from leaping down a half flight of stairs and sliding into the wall.

She laughs in my face at the word ‘NO!’, putting her collar on her can take a good five minutes and as she wiggles, squirms, rolls over, tap dances, and leaves me battered and bruised.
Just picking up her leash has her charging into and bouncing off the door.

*Heel *means slow down,
sit means bounce on your haunches,
down means roll over and kick me with your feet,
stay means pause for a half second before charging through the door and dragging me down the sidewalk.

If I am sitting on the couch and she wants it she simply climbs on top of me and tries to push me off.

This is after she went to obedience school.

Every step of the way I get her to get into a calm submissive state and if I so much as move one inch she is up and bouncing again.

I’ve pet sat for 3 different Newfies and I would not call any of them calm or low-activity.
Stubborn, bull headed, willful, strong, determined, obstinate, bossy…

Old thread, but I’d saying that if you play the odds, Lab/Newfie is a good mix.

Sounds like a great happy gentle friendly-to- the-max dog. And an insanely great swimmer.

I agree the diff between a Golden and a Lab in an eventual mutt probably makes no nevermind. In a very few cases, I’ve found that Labs are just a smidgen stronger willed than Goldens, who are, like Newfies, the gentlest and most willing to please doggies out there.

They both are proverbially famous for homes with children, from babies on up.

Just saw this for zombie dogs. Even they are probably great.

I know this is a reallllly late reply, but that mix of dog is amazing! Yes, they are big, so everything is more-medicine, poop, food, vet cost, etc., but what they bring to your life is amazing! My mom owned one that was half black lab and half newfie. She was about the length of the lab, was a little taller than a lab, had a long fluffy black flat coat and her normal weight was about 97 pounds. She was a lazy calm dog around the house after the age of 2, but would run or would get active if you made her. We just lost her a couple days ago at the age of 8 because of what they think was a tumor in her heart. She did have some kidney issues, but a diet change had fixed that and had her values back to normal. Other than that her only other health problem was the hip dysplasia, which most of these big dogs get, she was being treated with medicine because hers wasn’t advanced enough to need surgery. Her temperment was so sweet and she was such a lover. She was always ready to meet any person or animal and was never aggressive. My 4 year old neice lives with my mom and she adored her. The day she came home from the hospitall all she did was smell her and lick her. From then on they were best buds and my neice could do ANYTHING to her. She did love attention and knew how to work people to get it! She was a very smart dog and responded much better to a calm stern command, than someone yelling at her, but there really wasn’t much discipline needed for her. She did like to escape, but as she got older she would actually come back pretty quick. Cooper lived with two cats and NEVER had a problem with them. I know a lot of people said that these dogs would probably love water, not her-she hated the hose or baby pool. If you want a dog that is a good family dog, fits into your life style, actually cares about you as much as you care about them, is calm and caring, is gentle, will get along with other animals and will be a huge part of your household-then this dog is for you! The only thing my mom complained about was her shedding, especially twice a year when she blew her undercoat.