Nextdoor.com neighbor wars

Friend of mine got kicked off of NextDoor for responding to every trivial bullshit post with “AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED???!???”

It makes me giggle unaccountably.

Also it makes me never want to download that app.

NextDoor is Twitter for Old People

Bullshit.

I’ve just tried to join Nextdoor.com on the back of this thread, but apparently my phone number doesn’t match my address.

My local Facebook post is mainly

• Can anyone recommend a really great carpenter/plumber/electrician who’s also really cheap
  • Can the *@£$%^& owner of this car (see photo) please come and move it because it’s blocking my drive/the pavement/access for emergency vehicles/my child’s school
  • Can anyone from the Council confirm what’s happening with residents parking permits/if the metro bus route is ever going to be finished/if log burning stoves are going to be banned/if owners of dogs off lead in the park are being fined now/ what’s going on with the closure of the local swimming pool
  • Free yoga this Thursday for over 70s!

I joined a few years ago, looked around, and left. Creeped me out to find how concerned certain “others” are with how “their” city looks.

Looked into it after reading this thread. Entered my address and it acted like everyone in my neighborhood was involved. It required me making an account to see more, so I did.

Then they told me I could be the first in my area. No thanks. Living in the country is nice.

There’s a reason for this, which is that the site rules forbid promoting your own business on the main news feed (I’m sure enforcement of this varies by location). So in order to get their names in front of their neighbors, all the house cleaners, babysitters and dog walkers have to have someone make a post to recommend them.

I have no idea if any kickbacks are involved, but at this level I suspect it’s just appreciative customers wanting to make sure that their favorite service provider is able to stay in business.

The fliers for the neighborhood watch keep mentioning it.

I’ve been using the Internet and it’s predecessors for over 40 years. I know what such a site is going to be like right away.

Yeah, I’m signing up for that. Right after I get a street cleaner to run over me.

I signed up out of curiosity. The 6 most recent posts were by a woman selling stuff - yard sale stuff, not a retail business… unless her retail business is selling old crap.

Scrolling back, there was bitching about fireworks and bitching about people bitching about fireworks. I don’t see a lot of value in the site.

Nextdoor is the worst. It has told me much that I didn’t want to know about my neighbors. (I thought we were all nice people. No!)

The worst is about every three months when someone reports a car with a loud muffler, moving slowly through the neighborhood, stopping occasionally, and shining a flashlight on the house numbers.

Of course it’s the guy throwing the paper. It happens every night. If they see so much you would think they would actually observe that he’s throwing papers into driveways, but no.

And then someone tells the complainer: This is the guy throwing the papers, this is his truck, and this is pretty much what you have to do to get all those Denver Posts onto all those porches, or into those bushes, or whatever.

And some idiot in the neighborhood always comes back with, “Well, it’s still skeevy behavior and he should not be doing it and I’m a report his ass!” At least I’m pretty sure our local LEOs are aware of who’s throwing what at what hour, and it’s nice to think they actually don’t have any real crime to deal with.

Actually no that isn’t the worst, when I first got on there somebody reported a suspicious black woman wandering around. She was in her yard.

Well, I was eating my cream teas Devon style without even knowing it…even in Cornwall! I guess you’re more heavy-handed than I. My cream didn’t smoosh down at all.

I was really happy flying home (on Virgin) to get a cream tea as one of our many meals. Even being airline food didn’t wreck it! :slight_smile:

On my Nextdoor for today, a woman posted something she’s selling: “Dresser and one night stand”.

Would it be rude to ask her how much for a one night stand?

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it.

Less rude than asking if she’s disease-free.

Man, my Nextdoor.com neighborhood page is boring. It’s just people posting lost pets they found or real estate ads.

Right now there’s a heated discussion on how much to tip servers at restaurants. It’s ridiculous.

You get the helicopters too?

Sometimes they’re useful. Today we have a post about a home robbery with description of the getaway car, and someone else had the same car on video from about 30 minutes before when they were possibly casing their house, with license plate, from their surveillance camera. So it does ratchet up the neighborhood watch idea a notch or two. Useful, that is, as long as it is actual criminal activity being discussed.

Damn, my neighborhood is boring. Lost cats & used furniture is pretty much all I get :mad:

I’m lucky enough to live in the country. There are ten houses on my street, eight of the ten families are retired and watch the street like hawks. The last time I had a friend stop by the house while I was out, (he was borrowing a tool that I left out for him), I received two phone calls from neighbors providing full descriptions and the license plate. They are the greatest neighbors ever, nothing petty, everyone watches out for each other and so on. After reading this thread, I feel even more blessed!