Nexus: The Jupiter Incident kicks ass!

Specifically, it kicks my ass. Even on easy, this game is hard, but it’s still awesome. I guess that makes me a bit of a masochist.

By now, dear reader, you are probably wondering what this game is all about. It’s a space combat game centered on capital ships, with none of that pesky resource gathering to worry about. You start with just one ship, but as you progress you can add others to your fleet, and you will often be assigned command of additional ships for specific missions. Between missions you can upgrade your ships to a degree, by spending resource points earned by completing missions. You can outfit a ship with various weapons, shields, electronic warfare equipment, engines, generators, and strike craft.

The real awesomeness of Nexus shows in the battles. You can play the role of admiral and just give general orders (attack that target), or you can jump in and give detailed commands to each ship (target enemy A with shield draining weapons, target enemy B’s engines, scramble fighters into a defensive formation, launch commandos against enemy C to disable their torpedo launcher). Movement is mainly automatic; you just tell the ship to go towards or away from a target, or engage it, or guard it, or whatever. The ship will automatically manuver around an enemy to try for a good firing position. If you want, you can tell the ship to move manually to a point with a heading and distance interface.

Let us not forget the graphics, for they are fantastic. One online reviewer said it looks better than Battlestar Galactica. I don’t know if I would go that far, but they are pretty impressive. The style has more flashy Star Wars type effects than the gritty look of Galactica, but it has the same intensity. Your screen fills with different colored beam weapons and explosions, shields spark and ships shake when hit, weapons that damage the hull leave visible scarring, exploding ships blind and damage other ships that are too close. Cool sound effects accompany all this mayhem.

The voice acting is mostly decent, but there are a few stinkers. Nexus is imported from England, so most human characters are Brits, but there’s one character who is supposed to sound American, yet says “Sparter” for “Sparta” and “Beeta” for “Beta”, and overall sounds forced. The aliens all sound like crappy Star Trek rejects.

All in all, it’s a good game. I highly recommend it to all fans of epic space battles.

No on else has played eh? You don’t know what you’re missing!