NFC East 2011

I was really impressed by Grossman. His problem has always been that he gets scatterbrained when he’s under pressure, and he was under pressure all day today and didn’t make any bonehead throws.

Eagles win! Atop the NFC East at their rightful place.

I’m not sure how I feel about the Giants and the ‘Skins so far this year. In terms of their respective matchup with the Eagles, I think I’d be more worried about the Redskins if only because I’m actually excited to see Vick go against the Giants’ secondary. I’d feel the same way about the Cowboys, but the Boys offense looks scary enough.

Anyone have any injuries this week that cause any problems down the road? The Eagles only lost two guys in their game, both not seriously injured, and neither is an impact player (backups).

Dallas went toe-to-toe with the Jets in New York and almost pulled it off. I’d say they did pretty well but for a couple of Romo chokes, sending the game the other way. I think they’ll pull it together and be contenders.

Yeah, it was sad to see them give the game away, and being on a plane, I couldn’t yell at the TV. I hope that injuries at CB and WR don’t continue to plague them.

The commentators were worried about the Eagles, with the line not protecting Vick enough. That will be interesting to watch.

That’s my Cowboys, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! :wink:

They played a far better game than I think anyone–myself included–was expecting, especially against the Jets. But damn, guys, ya gotta play ALL FOUR quarters! Still, I’m a bit more optimistic about the season after last night than I was after the preseason!

Romo made a few plays that were completely baffling. Take away either of them - the horrible fumble near the opposing goal line or the interception that looked like he thought Revis was on his own team - and the Cowboys win that game.

Jets got a gift.

Any team that lets Mark Sanchez throw for 335 yards and 2 td’s doesn’t deserve to win.

The health of the secondary remains a concern yet again. So does Dez Bryant’s conditioning. Ware and Lee looked great, as did Witten and Harper. It seemed well coached by both sides. Lots of inventive schemes and plays. Rob and Rex both were fightin’ for this one. The Boys had a chance to put it away, but didn’t do it. One hell of a lot of good effort wasted because, yet again, Romo made a couple of late-game idiotic, rookie turnovers.

Disappointing loss for the G-Men. The inexperience of some of our new receivers was glaring at times. Why-o-why, Steve Smith, did you have to leave us? Some missed catches should’ve been easy for Mario Manningham. Eli looked like a deer in headlights much of the time and is definitely starting to feel the wear of seven years of sacks. The loss of Justin Tuck for a month adds injury to insult. This will be a pretty mediocre year for Big Blue… I don’t give them any better than 8-8, and that’s being generous. Lucky for Coach Coughlin that he got his contract extension.

Trying to be as unbiased as I can, I think the 'Skins will have a few promising early season games followed by their usual collapse sometime around week 5 or 6. To be fair, Rex Grossman may be an average quarterback at best, but he’s received a lot of unfair press, especially in Chicago. He’s the best Washington has right now, and his health means the difference between a 9-7 season and a 4-12 season, the latter meaning Dan Snyder once again goes on a firing spree and promotes his janitor to Head Coach.

Dallas needs to cut its losses and fire Tony Romo. New coach Jason Garrett needs to complement their weak offense with a surprisingly good defense, but it’s anyone’s guess he can make that happen in one season. Employ star TE Jason Witten to the fullest of his abilities, but don’t overuse him to the point of injury. 9-7.

The new salary cap rules benefited Philadelphia more than any other team, and they stacked so much talent it would make the Yankees envious. They’re the team to beat this year not just in the division, but probably in the whole conference, assuming everyone stays healthy. Defenses everywhere are going to be doing their damnedest to hurt Michael Vick. If their brand-new O-Line forms a chemistry early on, they’re Super Bowl-bound. I give them 13-3.

The Cowboys’ secondary is even more banged up than the Giants’. Dallas’ top three active cornerbacks last night were listed as questionable - and that doesn’t include Terrence Newman, who wasn’t active at all.

Ooop, wrong Miles… scratch “Harper” and make that Austin. I’m trying to decide which part of the endzone reception was more enjoyable… the points or watching Cromartie’s spittle after Austin wrestled his interception away.

From twitter last night: If Romo and Sanchez played each other at darts, the game would last a week and thousands of people would die.

Beautiful.

Brian Rolle will eventually be the greatest LB of all time.

LB Brian Rolle - 5’10" 227 lbs
vs.
C Jason Brown - 6’3" 320 lbs

Watch the utter beat down here. Rolle is the top-most LB on the screen.

That was pretty sweet…he made the tackle too!

Without much action around here, I’ll try to get things going by ripping off the NFC North thread again. Here’s how I see the Week 2 NFC East games:

Arizona (1-0) @ Washington (1-0)
I think that Washington might end up second in the division this year and I’m not quite sure how it happened. Their defense is sneaky good (admittedly not great though) and tough in all three levels. Their QB situation is a mess, but if you can run effectively (Hightower 25/72/1TD wk 1) enough and limit mistakes you can go far on the back of a good defense, even with GrossBeck. Now is the Washington defense actually that good or are the Giants that bad?
Washington by 6

Dallas (0-1) @ San Francisco (1-0)
I’d have chalked this up as an easy win for Dallas until I found out they’re going to be out two of their top three corners and the third currently nursing an injury himself. Now? I have no idea. The 49ers won their first game convincingly, but against a Seattle team that will soon be the subject of the annual “Could the (nation’s top college team) beat the Seahawks?” thread. And now Dez Bryant probably won’t play? I see a tight game that gets decided late by a crucial Patrick Peterson interception.
San Francisco by 3

St. Louis Rams (0-1) @ New York Giants (0-1)
Fortunate timing this week for the Giants, which is as much fortune as they’ve had so far this season. Bradford bruised, SJax probably out, Amendola out… there isn’t much left. Both teams are walking MASH units. I’d give this to the Rams in a heartbeat if they were more healthy, but I think the Giants will be a little too much at home with their pass rush, though the game will be closer than the score would indicate. If Tuck and Nicks both miss the game, I’ll take the Rams instead.
New York by 10

Philadelphia (1-0) @ Atlanta (0-1)
A team the year after a 13-3 season, who are incredible at home, are home underdogs. I guess people were really convinced by Philly’s seemingly comfortable win in St. Louis. I’m really scared of this game. Michael Turner is among the very last backs I want to see line up against the Philly run defense right now. And I really hope Vick doesn’t buy into this whole coming home thing and lose his composure. This is going to be a really tight game, but I think that at some point Matt Ryan will have to throw it downfield and that’s going to hurt the Falcons. I can’t see them matching Vick/McCoy/Jackson/Maclin on turf by running. The Bears got five sacks last week against the Falcons, I think Philly equals that. Take the over.
Philadelphia by 4

Thought about this call during the games. “How can Romo throw a pick to Pet… Aw damn it!” it was kind of everyone to let that slide. Thanks.

Romo can throw an interception to pretty much anyone he likes. I think he threw one to Pudge Rodriguez last season.

Romo had an absolutely amazing game and didn’t throw an interception to anybody.

That’s a first. Tough tough win for the Boys. A hard earned victory against a stout opponen… wait, what?