NFL 2020: Week 15

Welcome to the thread recently voted “most boring ramblings of the day” by yelp.

NFL Covid: Offensive Coordinator Jason Garrett of the Giants tested positive for Covid, but reported no high risk/close contacts that would take any players or other coaches out for Sunday’s game too. Playcalling duties will be done by none other than Freddie Kitchens, whom I’m sure our Brown’s fans have a lot of positive things to say about him. The Ravens continue to struggle with the virus, now putting Marquise Brown and a couple other Wrs on their Covid list because of close contacts, but, if they continue to test negative, they’ll be eligible to play of Sunday. Ronald Jones of the Bucs also entered the Covid list. And Henry Ruggs will miss tonights game thanks to being listed on the Covid list.

In non-covid news, it’s pretty quiet. The NFL is having discussions about possibility introducing a bubble scenario ala the NBA for teams making the playoffs. They’re also negotiating the next round of broadcasting rights, which may make them up to $100 billion dollars. And the NFL is trying to figure out where they are in line and how they’ll be handling the Covid vaccine. Finally, Saturday games are a thing now, so WOOT! More football to watch! Speaking of, here’s your games this week:

Thursday, Dec. 17, 7:20 CST

Los Angeles Chargers vs. Las Vegas Raiders (-3, 54.5)

Saturday, Dec. 19

3:30 p.m. CST

Buffalo Bills vs. Denver Broncos (+5.5)

7:15 p.m. CST

Carolina Panthers vs. Green Bay Packers (-8.5, 51)

Sunday, Dec. 20

Early

Houston Texans vs. Indianapolis Colts (-7, 52.5)
Detroit Lions vs. Tennessee Titans (-8.5)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Atlanta Falcons (+5.5, 51)
New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins (-2, 41.5)
Seattle Seahawks vs. Washington Football Team (+5, 43.5)
Chicago Bears vs. Minnesota Vikings (-3, 46)
Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Baltimore Ravens (-13)
San Francisco 49ers vs. Dallas Cowboys (+2.5, 45.5)

Late

New York Jets vs. Los Angeles Rams (-17, 44.5)
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Arizona Cardinals (-6, 48.5)
Kansas City Chiefs vs. New Orleans Saints (+3.5, 51.5)

Night

Cleveland Browns vs. New York Giants (+3.5)

Monday, Dec. 21, 7:20 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cincinnati Bengals (+13)

Quick Aside: While typing these out, I misspelled the Raiders as the Radiers. I now really, really want that to be their actual name. So, rather than the pirate/pillaging motif, they become the most Rad team in the NFL. Instead of the pirate logo, they have trendy Fedoras and lattes. Instead of the Black Hole, they have the local Starbucks with laptops. They’d be the most Rad team in the NFL. Although, on second thought, maybe being more Rad would require a skateboar/grunge theme. I’m old, I’ll leave those kinds of decisions to you younger Radiers’ fans. Plus, fuck them for moving to Vegas.

On that note, I’ll be watching tonight’s game for two reasons, to see Justin Herbert and to see the Raiders lose. After a very impressive blistering start, Herbert’s slowed down a bit the last few games (although playing the Falcons and Jets can help a ton). But the Radiers (yes, now I’m doing it on purpose) have a crappy defense. Remember, they took Clelin Farrell (6.5 sacks so far) with the 4th overall picks, passing on guys like Devin White (who has 7.5 sacks from a non-pass rushing position), Ed Oliver (7 sacks from an interior DT position), and Brian Burns (an actual DE with 13.5 sacks). Heh. Still, it should be a pretty good game, and fun to watch.

Saturday’s games, of course the Packers are a must watch, but I don’t expect much of a game. I’m a fan of Teddy Bridgwater, and he’s a middlin’ starting QB, but Rodgers is hellbent on another MVP, and they’re at home (which doesn’t mean much this year). I also want to watch the continued development of Rashan Gary [who also has more sacks than Clelin Farrell], whose pick in the first round I was very critical of when it happened. If he can continue to develop and outplay a struggling Preston Smith, it could prove me wrong, which I would be more than good with. Bills/Broncos holds no interest for me.

Bears/Vikings is the game for me of the early Sunday games. NFC North rivals, playing for a potential playoff spot, and a resurgent Mitchell Trubisky under center for the Bears. Personally, I’m rooting for the Vikings, but it should be a close, interesting game to watch. I may take a peek at the Dolphins/Pats game, but only because I think the line (Dolphins giving 2.5) really underestimates the Dolphins. Although Bellicheck does have a penchant for making rookie QB’s struggle, I think Tua will play a perfectly average game and do enough to get a win for the Dolphins.

I was super excited for the Chiefs/Saints game until Brees went down and now the Taysom Hill circus took over. Should be an interesting game because it might actually fall on Hill’s shoulders to carry his team, which isn’t something I expect he’s capable of. But who knows. That Saints defense is pretty darn good. I should be (emphasis on SHOULD) more interested in the Browns Giants game, but I’m not. Maybe I’m just fatigued by both teams. It could be a great game, but maybe I’ll watch The Old Guard on Netflix instead. And Monday night’s game is dogshit, so I’ll skip that one too.

Your guys’ turn. Any Radiers fans? Thoughts on the games this week? Let’s hear from you!

There’s no must see games in the 1PM slot. There are a few division rivalry games to watch. I’m hoping that KC-NO is a good game considering that it’s a potential Super Bowl preview. As a Giants fan I’m happy to them playing Sunday night. I’m hoping that the game is close but after watching CLE put up 42 points against a normally tough BAL defense, I have my doubts.

First real good look at Justin Herbert and, darn he looks like the real deal. Good pocket presence, keeps his eyes downfield, and has the physical skills to make every throw. He doesnt seem to get phased by pressure.

A really good game that fell apart at the end. Neither team seemingly wanted to win. And too much “too cute” coaching. Looks like OT.

In news only relevant or interesting to me, that OT really fucked me in my semi-final game in my IRL $$$ FFL league. I’ve been in first place, wire-to-wire, and had a week 1 bye. This week I faced Justin Herbert.

Following that INT, Herbert got the ball, took a sack and went 3 and out, but still set the Chargers up for a game winning FG. Then a missed Chargers FG and a missed Raiders FG in regulation, either of which would have ended the game with Herbert at a modest 20 points. Then in OT the Raiders get the ball, drive to the Chargers 3 and end up settling for a FG, a TD would have also ended it with Herbert stuck at 20. Herbert then gets the ball back and proceeds to throw for 50+ yards, topping 300 for the day and getting a bonus, plus adding a fucking rushing TD for 6. Ended up with a whopping 33 points all because no one could make a field goal. If this ends up being the difference I’m gonna be so annoyed.

Minor trivia - When Mariota entered the game for the Raiders, it became a face-off between two former Oregon Duck quarterbacks.

What started out as a potential blowout became a sloppy mess. The Packers looked downright bad on offense the second half. Ugly win, but still a win.

Packers followed the pattern I predicted last week:
Start out strong, do nothing for ~2 quarters, come uncomfortably close to losing.
I don’t see how they progress far in the playoffs.

Brian

Tackling is optional in the Bears/Vikings game.

WFT made a game of it, and Haskins is starting to look a little better. It would be nice if the Footies didn’t have to try and acquire yet another QB for next year.

Haskins will be traded. I guess Alex Smith next year. Allen and then some rookie.

Fun first half in the KC-NO game.

J E T S Jets Jets Jets

Jags now have the #1 pick

I would not have picked the Rams as the team that the Jets finally beat. That blows my mind.

And now the Seahawks lead the NFC West.

Meanwhile, Saints are again within a TD of KC.

And the Saints lose by 3. They sure made a game of it though.

At 4-9-1 the Eagles are still in the running for a division title. Ladies & Gentlemen, the NFC Least. And with an extremely small sample size they probably have the hottest QB in the division in Jalen Hurts.

The division championship comes down to, who sucks least in the East?

Aaaaand I lost by 14 points. Fucking figures. Here’s the bad luck I had:

• The aforementioned Herbert OT bonus.
  • Rodgers collapses in the second half against a terrible Panthers defense, losing 5 points to sacks! His lowest output of the season after what looked like a dominating first half. Weirdness all around.
  • For some silly reason I started Robby Anderson over Melvin Gordon in my flex.
  • TJ Hockenson went for -1. Logan Thomas on my bench went for 17.
  • Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook had monster games, but both only had 1 TD and missed out on a big 150 yard bonus by falling just a few yards short.
  • None of my opponents position players had more than 68 yards…but every single one scored a TD.

I mean, what the fuck.

Forget it, Omni, it’s fantasy football…

Pats out of the playoffs for the first time since 2008. I think it’s only the second time in the last 20 seasons they’ve not made the postseason. FWIW, I think they would not be the AFC East champ even with Brady. I think Brady’s WAR is probably 3 games max. Newton was an interesting experiment, but not the answer at QB. Stafford might be, but I think their problems may run deeper than just QB.