NFL 2021: Week Ocean's Eleven

Well, he got to dance and that seems to be what matters the most to him.

The Bears are terrible. Everyone knew this, but it needed to be repeated. Can’t wait until Nagy is gone.

He’s not the mental defect that some of the meatballs make him out to be, more than half of the Bears problems are poor execution by the players, but this team is one of sloppiest I’ve ever watched. That’s been a trend of his teams since he got here. Poor preparation, tons of pre-snap penalties, busted coverages and complete brain farts on both side of the ball. That’s partly having low football-IQ players, but it’s happened with every roster he’s coached. It’s him and he probably needs to be fired immediately.

But the Bears won’t do that. And really, the season is totally lost already so in the end it doesn’t matter.

What’s up with the Bills is, they got their asses handed to them by THE SHOE, baby! Jonathan Taylor put up 5 total touchdowns against them.

The Colts/Bills game was a scorigami! First time ever for a 41-15 final score.

It’s nice to see that Mike McCarthy’s steadfast refusal to adjust to how a game is going has continued to Dallas fron Green Bay.

The Chiefs offense was woefully inconsistent, but suddenly their defense has stepped up. Dallas came in with the #1 offense in the league, and got 3 field goals.

Ugly win by the Browns. Baker is toughing it out through like 5 injuries but his current level of play is not going to cut it. I’m inclined to shut him down the rest of the year but they have kind of a good opportunity with the schedule coming up. They play the ratbirds, then a bye week, then the rats again which is kind of bullshit really but they could make a huge impact on a playoff run. Maybe let him start the first game and if he’s bad again use the bye week to give Keenum reps for the second game.

Whoooo! Go Eagles!!! We kicked ass, thank goodness. Saints usually take us-- at least in the Brees era-- but not today! How about Jordan Mailata (6’8" 365 lbs) and Davenport’s little wrestling match? Who really wants to break THAT up? Replay on the play about 20 secs in. - YouTube

I don’t know what your ongoing problem with Newton is (actually, I think I do), but I don’t think you can pin this loss on him. His stat line looks perfectly serviceable (just under 200 yds passing, 2 TDs, 40 yds rushing, 1 TD) and his teammates are thrilled to have him back. He was predicted to be a locker room cancer here in NE, but everyone loved him, including Belichick, even though his play was pretty bad. And he finally got his head out of his ass and got vaccinated, so he’s still capable of learning :slight_smile:

Oops…

My quick unofficial check shows that the longest current streak is now seven, by the Seahawks.

Seattle, however, has lost five of those games.

I’m not dale, nor do I want to defend him, but:

In the current NFL, under 200 yards passing is pretty atrocious and an 5.6 intended air yards is pretty medicore. Especially against one of the 8 worst passing defenses in the league.

Cam is what he’s been the last 6 years, a run first QB who can make some splash plays for you, but will never lead the league in passing and may have trouble running a more complex offense (see how the Patriots are doing with Mac Jones).

As you say, he’s serviceable. But the hype he’s currently getting is going to leave many people seriously disappointed.

I won’t defend any hype, for sure, but dale acts as if he was a total dog out there, just in it for the showboating, which is clearly untrue. I think many teams would be happy to take ~240 yds of offense + 3 TDs + 0 INTs from their quarterback on any given week.

I was a Nagy supporter for longer than most, but “poor preparation” could really sum up his entire tenure. In games with more than 7 days rest, Nagy is 2-9. I feel like that’s the only stat you need.

Saw a stat that showed the Bears have faced a backup QB in every game following the bye in his tenure. He’s lost them all.

Ironically, I don’t think Nagy’s “scheme” is the problem. If you watch the All-22 game tape, there are almost always receivers open. In many cases they are open with a lot of room to run. But whether it’s Trubisky, Fields, Dalton or Foles…the QB can never seem to deliver the ball on time or on target. More often than not they never even get their eyes on the open read and instead force it to a guy who needs to fight for a 50-50 ball. Other times the QB is on his ass or running for his life. The problem has spanned lots of rosters so it’s not just the talent, Nagy owns this, but the popular criticism that his offenses are somehow regressive never held up to scrutiny.

How the QB makes reads and delivers the ball and timing and all that stuff is also part of the scheme. He may have a terrible scheme for the QB decision tree, or just coaches them badly.

Yeah, it’s something. Maybe all his QBs with the Bears have been mentally deficient but I doubt it. It’s probably a combination of his inability to communicate the concepts and his concepts’ impracticality to process (and not enough consideration of how pressure affects everything). The point is that the routes being run are successfully creating mismatches, confusing the defense or otherwise causing breakdowns. So at least on paper, there’s something that works.

In other news, the Saints just signed Taysom Hill to a 4 year, $95M(!!!) contract extension. Supposedly the contract is a 4 year, $40M deal if he continues his role as a super H-back gadget guy, but escalates to $95M if he ends up being the starting QB.

I suppose he might be worth $10M/year as a gadget player. He’s been really effective in that role and he’s not easily replaceable. But if he wins the starting QB job, he’d be paid $24M per year making him the 16th highest paid QB, right behind Tom Brady who’s 15th. That’s looney tunes. Sure a starting QB making $20M+ per year is nothing new, but he’s not at all proven. Even if he wins the starting job, there’s very little chance that he’ll break out and be a top-tier passer.

Meh, there are reasons the Panthers lost that game. Cam isn’t really one of them.

Odd that dale chose Newton to single out. Almost like something is coloring his perceptions

Dale hates Newton with the power of a million suns and I’m not sure why other than that he smiles and sometimes dances.