NFL 2022 Week Seven Wonders of the World

Because now I have a question - if someone reaches first on a dropped third strike, will it negate an otherwise perfect game?

Yes.

In other news, is anyone else surprised that the Broncos are favored? It seems like Vegas and/or the betting public doesn’t quite believe the Jets are any good, or that the Broncos are really quite bad.

I blame the Roids.

Well, at least this TNF game is going better in the scoring department. Andy Dalton is imploding in the last two minutes of the half.

Yes. A perfect game is 27 batters faced, 27 putouts.

Only because it’s in Denver, I think.

Frankly, I am more surprised that the Jags are favored over the Giants.

This very scenario happened to John Means of the Orioles last year; he pitched a no-hitter with the only batter reaching base on a strikeout with a dropped/wild third strike. The runner was promptly thrown out stealing, so Means faced the minimum 27 batters.

Wait, I thought this was the football thread? :grin:

Honestly, I didn’t even notice that! That is also surprising. I’m a little more focused than usual on the Broncos, because them losing leads to a better draft pick (well, two better draft picks) for the hawks.

The Panthers continue their overhaul and trade CMC to the 49ers for 4 picks. 3 in next year’s draft (2nd, 3rd and 4th I think) and a 5th in '24.

He’s their most talented player but he has missed a lot of games due to injury. I think ii was the right move for a team going nowhere with a ton of holes to fill. We’ll see if he stays healthy and helps the 49ers.

Indeed – he only played in 10 games combined over 2020 and 2021.

That said, he’s been productive this year: at his current pace, he’d rush for about 1000 yards, and catch 88 passes. Running backs don’t tend to age well, and I think there’s a strong likelihood that the Niners overpaid, compared to how many good years McCaffrey likely has left.

I feel like the '9ers have a much better offensive line then the Panthers. I think CMC might be really good in San Francisco.

They’re riding with Jimmy G due to injury, right? I’m sure he’s thrilled. Talk about a shiny new toy.

Yeah, Trey Lance is out the rest of the season due to ankle injury. He’s also very excited about the news.

The 49ers current backup is Mr (Not So) Irrelevant from this year’s draft.

No it’s not. See below.

This is only partially true and not true for the example cited. I’m not quite the baseball wonk that others are on this board, but a perfect game requires that no runner reaches base by any means. This is the Wikipedia definition as well. Yes, 27 put out’s in 27 batters is in fact a perfect game so long as no runner reaches base. This uncommon scenario where a baserunner gets doubled up or otherwise put out after reaching base negates it.

To achieve a perfect game, a team must not allow any opposing player to reach base by any means: no hits, walks, hit batsmen, uncaught third strikes, catcher’s or fielder’s interference, or fielding errors; in short, “27 up, 27 down” (for a nine-inning game).

This link confirms that this scenario was not a perfect game.

Football thread indeed. :wink:

Not quite sure why you say my statement is only partially true. If a batter reaches base by any means, it’s not a putout. If the runner reaches base by a dropped 3rd strike, and then is caught stealing, another batter has to have a plate appearance, so it would be 28 batters faced, 27 putouts.

Regardless, a perfect game is 27 batters faced, 27 outs recorded, no runner reaches first base.

The modification you made here is precisely why I said partially true.

The example that @SwissMan gave us precisely an example of 27 batters and 27 outs that is NOT a perfect game. Without the qualifier you added here it’s not actually true. And since @Chisquirrel was asking about just that exception your initial reply is incorrect.

Charlie Trippi, who was a star multi-position player for the Chicago Cardinals in the 1940s and 1950s, passed away on Wednesday, at age 100.

Trippi, who didn’t join the NFL until age 26, due to serving in the Army Air Forces during WWII, was a member of the Cardinals’ “Dream Backfield;” in his rookie year of 1947, the Cardinals won the NFL Championship (the last title which the Cards have won). A multi-dimensional player, Trippi was a star at halfback, quarterback, and defensive back, as well as being a skilled punter and kick returner. He’s in both the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and College Football Hall of Fame.

Browns are feisty which is good to see. I was worried we were reaching the noticible resignation stage of the season after some frustrating losses but they’re playing hard and doing pretty well so far. Neither team can play in the 4th quarter so it’s probably going to be a weird and sloppy end whatever happens.

I may be the only cleveland(ish) resident who wants the Ravens to win.

Seeing that the Panthers on top of the Bucs, 21-3 with ~5 minutes left, makes me smile.

Oh fuck that shit, the Ravens jumped offsides, the refs had a conference for 2 minutes, then decided it was a Browns false start despite no one fucking moving a muscle the entire time. Should’ve been a 4th & 1 and it became a 62 yard FG.

Bucs look like they’ve given up. Brady threw for almost 300 yards but he’s just pissing into the wind. They have no running game at all.

He really should have retired after that last ring. It’s not going to end well for him.

Then there’s Rodgers. He looks like he doesn’t even want to be out there. They’re going to lose to Washington.