NFL 2022: Week Seventeen Seconds

Wow, just seeing this - how terrible.

If Taylor and McDermott stood up to the league on this, good on them. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen players so visibly distraught over an injury.

Awful. 24. Athlete. We need an update. I’m so scared for this kid. He’s so young. What kind of injury for goodness sake?

My understanding is that it could result in negative playoff consequences for the teams involved, which would be adding a lot of insult to already grieving players. Of course, the teams themselves would say they don’t care, but I’m guessing the league is worried about headlines like “NFL Punishes Team for Player’s Death.”

Actually, more specifically, commotio cordis:

But there’s also just not enough time between now and the wildcard round. Your point is solid, though. Declaring a tie here I think hands the first round bye to the Chiefs, meaning both these teams would have to play playoff games in 12 or 13 days from now.

If they restart tomorrow night, I guess they wouldn’t have to change anything else. If they resume Wednesday, however, I think both of their games next week have to be moved to Monday night, which gives one or both of them a short week going into the playoffs.

Tomorrow night keeps it salvageable. I think that’s what they make happen come hell or high water.

From what I’ve read, it appears to be unclear whether the words “continue the game” were actually handed down by the league or if officials were going off of cold words in a rule book in the chaos while everyone tried to figure out what to do.

Actually, with Thursday games I guess four days is the acceptable minimum time between games. So they could resume Wednesday if they had to, with both teams playing their last game Sunday.

I don’t think you can shorten the week before the wildcard round.

That seems quite plausible.

Just saw on MSNBC that his marketing rep made a statement:

“Update: His vitals are back to normal
and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat. They are currently running tests.”

Fantastic news if true.

(Lawrence O’Donnell read it on air, I transcribed it as read.)

Jeez, I hope so.

In 2002 St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room before a game with the Cubs. That game was postponed, but the teams played the next night. The Cardinals were like zombies in that game and lost 8-3. After a scheduled off-day, the team lost four of the next six games.

The NFL can reschedule the game for whenever they want, but I doubt the Bills will have their heads in it.

In 1996, when John McSherry had a heart attack minutes after the star of the Opening Day game between the Reds and Expos, the game was promptly cancelled; the players did not want to keep playing. McSherry died.

In 1999 Astros manager Larry Dierker suffered a terrible seizure mid-game. The game was promptly suspended. Dierker ended up okay - he’s still with us today - but it took a month of recovery to come back.

Nice to hear good news this morning. Last night I thought the dude dropped dead right there on the field.

I think it’s too late to resume the game tonight. It’s already almost noon, and the Bills went home to Buffalo with no current plans to come back as of yet.

Cross-post from the dedicated Hamlin thread: the game will not be played this week, and it’s uncertain when/if it will.