NFL Offseason 2022

Whatever you did in 2020, you should do again.

Watson settles 20 of the 24 cases against him.

Probably means he gets a relatively minor suspension from the NFL. Over/under 7 games?

I’d guess no more than 4 and that gets appealed down to 1 or 2 at worst. And that depends on settling with the other 4. They’ll indefinitely suspend him if active cases are pending.

The NFL seems incapable of actually dealing with these situations in general. There are many only a handful of suspensions more than 6 games. Remember Greg Hardy? 10 game suspension appealed down to 4, which is the same number Tom Brady got for Deflategate. I think even murder might only cost you a season if you were popular enough.

And Gronkowski retires again.

I don’t think it means anything at all.

The NFL does its own investigation and administers punishment based on what it finds.

Case in point, Ezekiel Elliot was accused of beating his girlfriend. He was never charged and denied the accusations. Yet, a year later the NFL suspended him from 6 games. This article details why the NFL ruled as they did:

The key section of that article:

The league’s policy does not rely on the same burden of proof as the legal system does. The personal conduct policy says that “persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.”

In other words, whatever the NFL does to Watson is completely separate from whatever is done to him in the court of law. They’re not law enforcement. Their punishments are based solely off of whether he did something the NFL doesn’t approve of, based on their own investigation.

Agreed. There’s zero evidence that the NFL issues punishments based on criminal or civil court findings of their equivalent. Of course these settlements are sealed so the NFL should never see the details, making it doubly true.

Just smelling the smoke I’m betting Watson gets a full season ban. The PR following the trade has been so, so bad. And it seems like the public discussion has gotten way more critical after the trade versus before. When the allegations first dropped there were a bunch of meatheads defending him and calling the women gold diggers or this a frame job, since he’s been in Cleveland that seems to have dried up.

I had my doubts initially for a couple weeks, I’ll admit. Tony Buzbee is still an upjumped ambulance chaser who has no business in society (polite or impolite) but those guys do get legitimate cases from time to time and it quickly became clear there was a lot of “there” there.

That said, who knows what the NFL will do? I mentioned Greg Hardy upthread. Those photos of what he did to that woman were bad. Real bad. And not only did he not get banned from the league, he got less than a full season’s suspension. Which was appallingly appealed down to 4 games.

The severity of anything the players do is utterly divorced from punishments from the league.

On the flip side, the NFL has been slow playing this whole thing, putting off a decision until the last minute. They clearly don’t want a head QB in TV with dozens of sexual assault cases pending. If they all get settled, them broadcasts will pretty much gloss over it.

Right or wrong, the NFL seems to put domestic violence into a separate category. Even isolated incidents of “date rape” will move in and out of the spotlight. Being a serial sexual predator just hits different and certainly gets bigger and more persistent headlines, even if, in the grand scheme of things, the harm was probably lesser.

More sad news: Jaymin Ferguson of the Ravens has died.

Dan Snyder is a worthless piece of excrement and the NFL was complicit in attempting to keep many of the details private. Quelle surprise… :roll_eyes:

And now after refusing to appear because of a bunch of comically flimsy excuses, he’ll be getting a subpoena. :rofl:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/commanders/2022/06/22/commanders-daniel-snyder-house-committee-investigation-roger-goodell/7693113001/

It’s a rough day in Raven country. The Goose also died today.

I even know who he is. That’s pretty young, RIP.

So Roger Goodell and the NFL conducted an extensive internal investigation into the Washington Commanders in which they wrote down nothing and communicated all of their findings entirely verbally.

Who did they hire to “investigate” this, the mafia?