NFL - OFFSEASON of Mist and mellow fruitfulness

Not Washington? An aging AP and they don’t have Guice around now.

As a Giants fan, I hope you’re wrong about Daniel Jones. I think Saquon is going to have a big year. Their defense, however, is terrible. The secondary is in a shambles and they have no real pass rush.

Well we’re just about 24 hours until NFL “cut day”, when teams must trim their rosters from 79 to 53. So far, Adrian Peterson, Mo Sanu, and HaHa Clinton Dix are some of the biggest names to be cut, but more will come. Other teams will have a chance to sign cut players, but if they dont, those players can go on a team’s expanded Practice Squad. Should be interesting.

No huge surprises on cut day. Just a few tidbits:

1. John Gruden drafted Lynn Bowden with the 16th pick in the 3rd round this past spring. They just traded him (and a 6th rounder) for a 4th round pick next year. While maybe they deserve credit for cutting their losses quickly, they clearly think they made a huge mistake drafting him.

2. The Pats had a competition this training camp to decide who their kicker would be: Nick Folk, a journeyman veteran or Rowrwasser, a 5th round draft pick last year with a racist tattoo. The Pats cut them both. Must of been a hell of a competition.

3. In some good news, Alex Smith of hideous broken ankle fame, made the 53 man roster and is the primary backup to Dwayne Haskins. Good for him.

Today at noon, the waiver wire opens, so teams can sign anyone not currently on a roster. Teams will use this to build their newly expanded practice squad and fill in their depth.

And actual football starts Thursday. Finally.

I assume Smith is there more as a coaching role for Haskins than anything else. Washington doesn’t look good at all this year, may as well give Haskins every possible chance to succeed. Without Guice or AP, they can’t just run the ball into the ground endlessly.

Does the NFL have a plan for the anthem protests? Maybe a coordinated team kneel, BLM stuff but stand for the anthem?

It’s 9/11 weekend as well as the return to football after months of Covid hell. I’m sure the NFL would love for the games to be the story and not the anthem

Hopefully we have enough interest to sustain weekly threads. I created the week 1 thread.