[QUOTE=storyteller0910]
Yeah, but it’s reached the point now where anyone with an axe to grind will assume that: (1) anything said about the Patriots is both true and indicative of intent to cheat rather than equipment failure; and (2) anything said about anyone else cheating is untrue or irrelevant.
When it comes to the Patriots, it seems like objectivitiy has vanished. Honestly, SenorBeef, if a pair of unsubstantiated accusations, both from unattributed sources, counts as real evidence of intentional wrongdoing in your book, then you made your decision long ago and are just cherry-picking for evidence that you were right all along.
[/QUOTE]
You won’t believe me, but you totally have my motivations wrong. I want to root for the Patriots. There’s a lot that I like about them. Bellichick often does what NFL coaches should do because they’re too rigid, timid, and not creative enough - he plays every week a different way to exploit the other team. I love that. He’s aggressive in the right situations where NFL coaches far too often err on the side of caution, such as 4th and short situations. The Patriots for the most part have built a team around players that aren’t superstars, but that are savvy, smart, and have a high motor. The team is pretty classy off the field as far as I know. They’ve done amazing things in the salary cap era. I honestly want to root for them - I’d rather be cheering for them to go 16-0 than my current position.
I think you’re much more likely to lack objectivity than I am - when I brought up cheap shotting earlier, you acted as if you had no idea what I was talking about - and maybe you didn’t - but I don’t even watch the Pats all that often and see plenty of cheap shots.
Anyway, if the Patriots did cheat in multiple ways (radio interference, video taping, illegal microphones, whatever else), what would you expect the general public to know? Do you think the NFL is going to have a press conference and say “oh yeah, the 3 time super bowl winners cheated their asses off in all sorts of ways”? No, it’d wreck the credibility of the league.
They handled the public accusation with evidence behind it because they couldn’t avoid handling it. And the Patriots were pretty severely punished. But the NFL quickly destroyed all of the tapes and became very quiet about the incident. They have a vested interest in burying this, and certainly not investigating and reporting on other potential cheating tactics.
So what you’re essentially saying that becaus the NFL hasn’t done that, which they’d never do, then the Patriots aren’t guilty. But it’s not something the NFL would do even if it was happening.
I go by what I see. The Patriots got caught and punished for cheating - the most severe NFL punishment on a team that I can think of. The NFL quickly destroyed the evidence and became silent about the issues. Other teams have let it be known in subtle ways that the Pats cheat - some coaches or other team personel have mentioned that they put mics on players illegally and it just so happens that I’ve come across like 5 different mentions of radio communications systems failing when playing against the Patriots. Their cheap shots suggest that they’re willing to push any edge they can to win.
Maybe I’m wrong. Or it could be that I’m right, but that this sort of stuff is common place (although that doesn’t excuse it). But it strikes me that most likely the Patriots do cheat beyond what they were punished for.