NFL Week 7

A bit of free advice for you all. Bet heavily against the Redskins next week.

I think they took so long on the review because they were trying really hard to find a good view of someone recovering the ball. I think they probably decided early on in the review that it was a fumble and not a TD.

Lindell from 50 to tie the Ravens… not a bad comeback to counter the Ravens’ comeback.

That may have been the best coaching job by Mangini’s staff since he’s been in Cleveland. They were a step ahead of the Saints all day.

I think I ask this every season, but what the hell is the deal with NFL network broadcasts?

All season long there have been 2 early games and 1 afternoon game. The Bears have been the early game in most of those weeks meaning I don’t watch the other early game and must settle for only seeing 2 afternoon games.

Then last week there’s 1 early game, the Bears, and 2 afternoon games. This is an improvement but still confusing to me. This week we have 1 early game, the Bears again, and only 1 late game!?!?! What in the hell is going on here?

Cardinals just recover a fumble. Should be an interesting game. Go Cardinals.

Omni - from how I understand it, they way you get 1 early game and 2 late games is when your local game is a late game on the network that doesn’t have the doubleheader that week. So you get an early and a late game from the doubleheader network (this week CBS), and then your late game. 2 early games and 1 late game is the default, at least for those of us whose teams are usually playing in the early slot. It gets even more complicated when you’re in a region with multiple “local” teams: for instance, where I am, the Patriots and the Giants both get local priority, and the Jets get priority over any team other than those two.

I have absolutely no idea how you end up with only 1 game in each slot. Especially when you have a local team playing in the early slot and not attendance-blacked-out, like you do with the Bears. I’d guess it’s something to do with your local networks but who the heck knows. The entire system is so arcane, anyways.

For some reason the Bears and Titans got screwed out of a second early game. What NFL rules restricts this? Seattle and Tampa got hosed out of a second late game.

http://the506.com/sports/?tag=2010-week-7

Last week we supposedly got 2 late games, maybe I somehow missed that. But I really don’t remember that being the case.

http://the506.com/sports/?tag=2010-week-6

This system is so totally fucked up.

Buccaneers come back to stun the Rams by a point on more or less the last play of the game… and I couldn’t fucking watch it. I hate you, NFL television people.

Mine is too. Says the Raiders are up 21-0.

DeAngelo Hall carried the skins today. Was he Cutler’s leading receiver?

Well, Knox had 6 catches, and Hall only had 4 picks, but Hall had at least 92 interception return yards and Knox only had 86.

Hall also led the 'Skins in tackles with 7, all solo. Wow.

Hall had 4 receptions for 92 yards and a touchdown. Knox had 6 receptions for 86 yards and a touchdown.

Bonehead bowl in San Diego.

It really was good.

What gets me is that NFL coaches are so cowardly that when they’re outmanned, they play conservatively and basically try not to get blown out and embarassed. But if a team is better than you, that’s generally the wrong approach - you need a few things to bounce your way. Playing it safe and keeping it close to the expected outcome results in you losing most of the time. Take some risks and if a few risks payoff, then you induce variance that could be exactly what you need to beat a team that beats you on average.

So pull out the stops. Try some gimmick plays. Do some big blitzes. Be aggressive. That’s what they did today, and they apparently did a great job coaching the defensive coverage against the Saints scheme because Brees had his ass handed to him all days. He had over 300 yards but it was almost all in soft zone garbage time. When it mattered, the Browns were able to get pressure on him and the secondary seemed to know exactly where the ball was going. They got 4 ints but they could’ve gotten 3 more on drops.

Nice to see the special teams make such a difference, by the way. Last year the Browns’ special teams absolutely crushed the rest of the league in DVOA, but this year Cribbs isn’t the same returner he was. Not sure if he’s slowing down or if he has a nagging injury or if it’s because we lost some good players on special teams. But the coverage units are excellent, our new punter is leading the NFL at putting them inside the 20, that lateral was inspired, and how often do you see a fake punt go for 68 yards? Just awesome.

WTF is going on in Denver?

Boy these afternoon games are dogshit.

I guess the Broncos don’t feel like playing football today. I think I’m going to watch Back to the Future II on G4 instead.

How sad.

I watched the replay and surfed the net a bit. Apparently, the guy who fell on the ball and pulled it into himself is the same guy who came out of the pile with the ball and handed it to the refs. If that is factually right, it seems pretty “conclusive” to me.

James Harrison almost recovered it but was held by a ballboy on the sidelines.

Yeah, dude hopping on the ball seemed pretty clear - having him hop out of the pile with the ball also backs it up. It shouldn’t have been ruled a TD in the first place - they should’ve resolved it as a fumble and then someone could challenge it to see if Ben was down. Even at full speed it wasn’t that close to a TD.