NHL: February 2011

Quebec city Colisée : It’s Coming

What current southern NHL team will pack its bag in the coming years for the more hockey friendly Quebec City?

Phoenix if it hasn’t already moved to Winnipeg? Atlanta?

Pronger and Richards are in a different class closer to Cooke than the others you mention, but I completely agree with your sentiment.

If they come out with some energy, they should be okay being as the Islanders are putting fans in goalie pads at this point. I hear Garth Snow is the backup goaltender tonight…

I don’t think it’s going to happen, but if it did, I’d guess the Panthers. Of the lot, they seem to have the least chance of ever being successful–on the ice or financially.

How freaky is that injury to Kevin Poulin? The concept of a dislocated kneecap makes me feel faint!

I don’t know how I feel about the Québec City arena; obviously I’m a Habs fan, but I remember the rivalry with the Nordiques from when I was younger and I’d love to experience it now that I actually follow the game! It’s the financial side that’s annoying me. Péladeau wanted to buy the Habs when Gillette sold them, the Bell Centre and GEG; I think if he wanted, he/Québecor could absolutely fund the arena and I’m not savvy enough to figure out why he isn’t. Also, without a guarantee of being able to get a team…it’s an iffy proposition that could turn into another Copps Coliseum!

I’m still of the opinion that the Coyotes will end up in Winnipeg; it just keeps looking like the money isn’t there for the deal between Glendale and Hulsizer to go through. The Peg will get a team before Québec City, since the MTS centre is NHL-ready. Atlanta is the one that’s mentioned the most often as being “next in line” for relocation.

I wish I could watch the Habs game tonight; damn Thursday evening class!

Ottawa trades Mike Fisher to Nashville for a 2011 first round pick and a conditional pick in 2012. The conditional pick will be a third round pick if Nashville advances to the second round of the playoffs this season and it will be a second round pick if they advance at least to the third round.

I’m sad to see Fisher go, but blowing the team up and starting fresh is necessary. I’m reasonably happy with the trade. I would have loved to see a prospect along with the first-rounder but that just wasn’t in the cards due to Fisher’s salary and lack of production.

What I’m loving about that trade? All the US based newspapers and magazines that are running headlines about how Carrie Underwood’s husband is moving to Nashville. That’s the important bit. The hockey is an afterthought (though we are talking about a (former) Senator here…!)

Big game for the Wings tonight, IMO this will the the dividing line between a stumble and a worrisome slump if the suck on this one.

Things are so close in the conference they have already lost the cushion and a coulpe steps away form having to fight hard to make it.

WTF Pittsburgh@Isles?!?! That was so bizarre it was hilarious.

What are they putting in the Gatorade these days? Between this and the Habs@Bruins game, it’s like we’ve slipped into Slap Shot or something!
The Leaf’s Monster, Jonas Gustavsson, had his third heart ablation surgery today. How often can that be done? I feel bad for the kid…I think he has potential (probably with another team), but this heart issue is worrisome, and I hate to see health problems like this for any player, even for the Laffs.

mnemosyne, I was unfortunately at the Canucks/Ducks game. And I say ‘unfortunately’ both because the Canucks lost and because I missed what was clearly an epic battle between Boston and Montreal. I mean, 187 penalty minutes? What I found most entertaining was the highlight shot of the penalty box crammed with eleven people.

Tomorrow is Hockey Day in Canada, which is basically a holiday in this household. We have decorated the walls with hockey jerseys and other memorabilia. We have stocked the bar to epic proportions. We have preordered a keg and enough barbecue to make fifteen people sick.

For the uninitiated, HDIC is the day when every Canadian team plays against another Canadian team. Three games in a row, all on CBC. In other words, eleven straight hours of Don Cherry.

Crazy Islanders vs. Penguins game tonight. Looks like the eighties again with that one and the recent Canadiens / Bruins game.

Wow - can I come? Sounds like fun! We have no particular plans, other than to watch the games of course! And as a bonus, at the moment there’s a QMJHL game on TV (Halifax @ Gatineau); the sounds of hockey, all day long!

About 8 hours for us; we watch all the Habs games in French (or really, any hockey game, if it’s available). The RDS coverage is far superior to the CBCs in pretty much every respect. They only have the one game today, though, so we’ll have to put up with Cherry for the first and last games.

They’re not even close to doing enough, and it has to start with firing the GM who drove the team off a cliff. The Senators are the worst team in the league, and need to REALLY blow it up.

This is a case where the salary floor could actually impede a team getting better. Ottawa has no contract of significance that shouldn’t be traded, and having a low salary load for a few years could really help a small market team bomb up for success later on.

Give it some time. Making moves in a panic just leads to crap like the Thornton trade.

Done.

(I do agree that Murray needs to go. Supposedly we’ll have a new GM by the start of next season).

Not really. It’s easy enough to get to the floor by overpaying a veteran on a one-year contract.

Trading Jason Spezza would be the stupidest thing the team could ever do. They’ll get nothing back for him that could possibly begin to replace him as our top centre. Spezza is going to be the centrepiece that we rebuild our offense around.

I’m loving this Hockey Day in Canada, especially as an American living out west. A morning game, an afternoon game, and a decent schedule tonight. I think I’ll watch Leafs/Habs next although I want to pay attention to the Predators/Avalanche game tonight as well.

Canes claw there way back from being down 3-1, lose in OT. They play the Thrashers today for sole possession of 8th place in the East.

Nice win last night for the Habs; second shutout in 4 games for Price, and it’s always fun to watch the Leafs lose a big Saturday night Hockey Night in [del]Toronto[/del]Canada matchup.

Montreal is currently completely in love with David Desharnais; the little undrafted centre from Québec City who is tearing it up with 6 points in the last three games, including a gorgeous set up for Pouliot last night on the first goal, and a sweet PP goal on the third.

Pacioretty left the game with what appeared to be an injury to his arm; I hope it isn’t too serious! The Habs have a lot of men injured right now; Markov, Gorges, Cammalleri, Gill, Darche…

I’m really beginning to dislike the seemingly deliberate targeting of Subban; it’s like every game the Habs play, someone seems to be trying to hurt him. It worries me.

Very interesting statement from Mario Lemieux:

“Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

“We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”

In other words, “Whaaaa!”

Where was his sanctimonious bullshit when Cooke was destroying Savard’s career or Talbot was running every goalie he could? Suddenly the Penguins are on the other side of things and the League blew it by not coming down harder on the other team.

Cry me a river, Mario.

And, for the record, I don’t at all condone what Gillies or Martin did, but I refuse to sympathize with the dirtiest team in the league when they get a bit of what they give.

I think Fedor Tyutin won’t be shedding any tears for Mario’s team. This takes some big brass balls when one of his players is currently serving a suspension for yet another piece of goonery.

Well he got a lot of practice lying with a straight face back when he was defending Ulf.

I was surprised by this as well, and I came to this thread to see what people think of it. It seems that the Isles, despite being up on the scoreboard, started this nonsense and thusly got more suspensions. The only one the Pens got was an automatic because a player left the bench to fight. Seemed fair to me overall. I’m honestly not sure where Mario’s comments are coming from.

And of course I feel the need to point out that by NHL rules, whatever team is employing Chris Pronger is automatically the dirtiest team in the NHL.:wink: