NHL March 2019

Forgot to add that TL spearheaded the first players union, which has evolved into the NHLPA today. Regarded by the powers that be (like Red Wings coach/manager Jack Adams) as sticking his nose out, he was sent off to Chicago, while like-minded teammates were sent back down to the minors in JA’s off-putting attempt at union-busting.

Good job, Knights!

I went to see the Stars play the Rangers on Tues. Radulov was benched for being late to a team meeting. We beat the Rangers 1-0 on a Klingberg goal. Rads was back in on Thur. and scored his first hat trick in a 4-0 win over Colorado.

My friend and I disagree on this, he thinks that Radulov showed he was special and might be the kind of guy who’s late to further meetings. I think that they both ended up getting what they wanted, in the end. Montgomery was able to lay down the law, and benching Radulov is probably the only way to punish him that means anything. He wants to play hockey, and when he got the chance again, he went at it like he loved it.

Oh, and Bishop had a pretty sweet pair of shutouts there.

Pens KICKED ASS Thursday, and Phil Kessel finally broke the drought! Woohoo!!! A shut out for Murray, and I can’t wait until tomorrow night! :smiley: (Well, technically tonight)

He’d also suffered an injury as a child that didn’t heal right, plus a brother of his died young. There’s a lot of speculation that he suffered from undiagnosed depression, which he treated with alcohol.

Go Knights go! Here’s hoping for a sweet double double-yoo tomorrow night! Come on, Knights: make this trip to the Great White North memorable, eh! <Coo-loo-coo-coo-coo-coo-coo-coo!>

Dang it.

Washington Capitals firing on all cylinders, winning 7 in a row. Damn, I’m ready for the playoffs

The Senators have promised to have “unparalleled success” from “2021-2025.” Really, they said that. It’s a direct quote.

The general idea of tearing a team apart to rebuild is not itself unreasonable. Expecting a team owned by Eugene Melnyk to have “unparalleled success” is not reasonable.

After seeing the Canucks’ level of play on the weekend it looks like they’re in “not making wild card” mode, which I find next to unwatchable. Icings and offsides galore, no connecting passes, and no finished checks - just skate-bys.
“Next season, then”, once again.
Currently at 9% odds for first overall pick.:frowning:

/self nitpick/ Er - chances are 9%. /self-nitpick/

Happy Guin?

Ben Bishop just recorded his third straight shutout last night. He current has gone over 204 minutes without a goal. Good stuff.

In other goalie news, congratulations to Carey Price on setting the Montreal franchise record for wins. I can’t imagine that one being challenged for a long time.

Ove is a monster! 1200 freaking goals!

It’s impossible not to like Ovi. I just had this conversation with some friends a few days ago. He always looks like he’s having fun out there.

I totally agree. I hate having to play against him because he’s a fierce opponent and because I genuinely enjoy watching him play, but hate watching my team suffer.

Oh yes, here’s to hoping Bishop can go for 4! We might not score much these days, but our GAA makes us competitive just about every night.

I noticed Price had gained that record, too. He’s been the reason for a great deal of those wins, and that’s a pretty storied club to own the record for. It fits him.

The worst thing about Price and Ovechkin is that they don’t play for my team. I’m happy they both play in the Eastern Conference, where I can usually admire them from afar.

Yeah, Ovi’s a cool guy, but I don’t like him when he’s an opponent. Wilson, however, will always be a total douchebag.

Yes and no. I’m THRILLED with yesterday’s victory, and the fact that Geno has his 1,000 point is so awesome! happy dance And it’s so cool that his parents were in from Russia to see it.

On the other hand, I didn’t get to watch, because I had a seizure yesterday and went to bed early. There was just no way I could stay awake after that. :frowning:

Something I’ve wanted to ask for a while: What does “waivers” mean?

I see in reports sometimes that a player was put on waivers, or that another team has claimed him off waivers. What does that mean?

Roughly, it’s a team giving up their rights to lay claims on a player, so they he/she is available to another team.

A player on waivers is up for grabs. Any other team may take him, assume the entirety of the rest of his contract, without compensation to the team that put the player on waivers.

The main reason why a team would put a player on waivers is that in many cases, a player may not be sent down to the minor leagues (e.g. the AHL) without first being placed on waivers (younger players are waiver exempt and may be sent down without being exposed to waivers, so that they can effectively do an apprenticeship in the minors before they are ready for the NHL).