NHL

What the hell is that fourth number for?
If you have no clue what I’m talking about, then you don’t know the answer…

If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

If you need a graphic solution, http:\ alk.to\Piglet

I have no clue what you’re talking about, so I don’t know the answer.
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

I will hazard a guess you’re talking about the standings.
In the past it was W-L-T Pts (wins, losses, ties, points)
Now it’s W-L-T-RT Pts (wins, losses, ties, regulation ties, points)

If you are tied after regulation, you get credit for one point. You can still win, but you can’t lose that point (unless you decide the play the OT without your goalie). So if you lose a game in OT, you get an L and an RT (regulation tie).

It should all balance at the end.

Of course, this could be something you’re not asking about.

Yep! “RT” stands for “regulation tie”. The idea is to get teams to play for a win without fear of losing the point they would normally get if the game remained tied after a scoreless overtime period of 5 minutes.

So, if a game ends ties after regulation play, each team is assured of one point (unless the ultimate loser in OT played the OT without a goalie). If a team wins in OT, they get the additional point without the other team losing its one point.

The purpose of all of this is to encourage teams to play a wide open “go for it all” style of hockey in OT because they know they have the one point locked up already. It’s kind of an “everything to win and nothing to lose” kind of scenario in regards to risk-free aggressive play. Hopefully this will make overtime play much more exciting and decrease the amount of ties in the NHL.

The overtime period is also going to be played 4 on 4.