Nice people are creepy (and other interesting articles)

“Contrarian, less agreeable” people are often slammed for having poor social skills and being jerkfaces. So this finding is interesting…although it is not THAT surprising to me. I’ve always been a bit wary of people who will bend over backwards to please others and not ruffle feathers. People like this often come across as mindless automatons to me.

Have you read any other interesting articles recently?

Would a contrarian agree or disagree with the article?

Yes.

The only thing surprising about this is that the researchers were surprised. That “Those who are described as “agreeable, conscientious personalities” are more likely to follow orders and deliver electric shocks that they believe can harm innocent people, while “more contrarian, less agreeable personalities” are more likely to refuse to hurt others.” is so obvious that it’s practically a tautology. What research journal was this published in, Duh! quarterly?

incorporating “no shit sherlock monthly”

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

Besides, I question the logic that equates “nice” with “obsequious, mindless sheep.” :dubious:

Women with a history of rebellious behavior were least likely to comply. Again, doesn’t surprise me. People who want to keep things going smooth and never cause problems never rock the boat.

I don’t get how they managed to distinguish ‘nice’ from ‘unwilling to stand up for self/others’. They seem to be confusing nice with people pleasers, which isn’t the same thing.

too bad the article is behind a paywall, it sounds interesting.

I agree.

“I want you to deliver a shock to that person.”
“No problem, glad to help out.” ZAP

“I want you to deliver a shock to that person.”
“Why the hell why I do that?”

Actually, I believe this is another fine piece of research from the guys at MISPWOSO.

“When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.”
CP Snow