Nicholas Batum disgraces himself, his team, his country, et al

HA! I thought the Spanish dude’s dick was flopping around so much the Frenchy said, " Douche!!" and punched the floppy scrotum. :smiley:

In Spain, this is a common and accepted form of salutation known as an apretón de cojones.

I don’t understand why he wasn’t kicked out.

I can certainly understand his frustration at flopping. I’m not really a basketball fan, and flopping is part of that. I feel like it detracts from the game and, as was said upthread, it makes the ref more a part of the game trying to determine if it’s legitimate or not; it’s very unsportsmanlike.

However, the answer to that is NOT to sucker punch a guy in the balls. He managed to combine basically the two worst things a guy can do to another guy in a competitive environment into a single act, and did it as a representative of his country, sport, and team on about the biggest stage possible. It’s one of the most shameful acts I’ve ever seen in sports. If he really felt he had to “give him something to flop about”, while it’s still unsportsmanlike, the worst think he should have done was maybe push him a little harder than he really needed to on an intentional foul. Or, I dunno, he could have done what most other people do in that situation and just talked some smack or called him out after the game or, best of all, just let it go. I expect this will follow him the rest of his career.

Except for the fact that JC Navarro wasn’t “flopping around” at any point in the match, you might have a point. What really happened is that this was like the sixth consecutive time Spain has beaten France in a row – and with said frustration building as the outcome was clear coming into the last minute, first Ronny Turiaf tackled Rudy Fernandez by the scorer’s table, resulting in a flagrant that also put Rudy out of the game and then Batum decided a punch in Navarro’s nuts would be a great way to end the game. Smart move, really, I would have liked him to try and do the same thing to say, Felipe Reyes and/or Marc Gasol…

It would have been strange if Batum had punched Rudy Fernandez, a former Blazer teammate, who was supposedly one if his best friends on the team. It would have been crazy awkward if he had punched Victor Claver, a Blazer rookie this upcoming season.

Nut-punching Spaniards should be an Olympic event in and of itself.

Nicolas Batum?

I bam coal nuts

I scam a nut lob

I am ca bon slut

Must I coin a lab?

Only after American face stomping is made official.

Flopping has been around a long time. It used to be a sign that a player was due to retire, as his defensive skills were disappearing. I remember being disgusted by Kevin McHale when he started doing that during his final years with the Celtics. Now it’s a routine move and shows just how lame basketball can be. Smart refs usually just call it ‘incidental contact’ and let the game continue without a foul being called. IMO, coaches should bench a player for doing it.

I believe flopping is also a major component of European soccer matches

It makes me laugh. Here’s a person rolling on the ground in agony, causing a game stoppage while four people attend to what must surely be a life-threatening injury. Ten seconds later, the guy (or gal) is running full tilt down the field.

Jesus Christ. Overreacting much? Yeah, he should have been kicked out. It’s a basketball game. It happens all the time, usually just with slightly more subtlety.

John Stockton was well known for grabbing players by the package, and no, I am not making that up.

Appropriate username.

Could be worse. There was an Aussie footballer a few years ago who got banned for his habit of, um, inserting his thumb into very private orifices of opposing players.

I’ve been noticing a little bit of flopping in the NFL, too.

Yup.

Just a little - a guy gets brushed on the leg, and drops to the ground clutching his head and writhing in agony.

Those pants are awfully tight - are you sure there’s any flopping? :slight_smile:

Basic man lout.

Don’t think it could get any better than that!

The Blazers have had a ‘thug’ reputation for several years now.