Nicknames for the Kids

My mom called me “Monkey” and my pawpaw called me “Mugglehead”.

My oldest daughter Laura is Babygirl and the baby, Isabella, is Bella or Izzybee.

Laura calls me Momzer.

My daughter is either Monkey or Peanut. In the 3rd person she’s referred to as “The Monkey”

My father called me Charlie Brown (which I despised)
My grandfather called me Louie - why, I have no idea, but I thought it was way cooler than my name and started referring to myself as Louie.

Four girls in our family. We were paired off for many purposes, oldest two and youngest two.

Somewhere along the way, Dad and I started calling the youngest two “The Little Dorks.” It caught on.

Eventually, the Little Dorks retaliated and started calling us “The Big Dorks,” but it didn’t catch on quite as well.

Parents definitely did refer to us that way a lot though. “Big Dorks, set table! Little Dorks, empty dishwasher!” And so forth.

I got called “Weez” or “Weezer” by my mother since the dawn of time (well, MY dawn of time, anyway :slight_smile: ). They aren’t diminutive of my name or anything, so I have no idea where it started. My father usually called me “Hoot,” but he tends to call a lot of people that, as well as use it replace pretty much any noun or verb of his choosing.

No children of my own, alas.

I often refer to my son as The Heathen Offspring or the Vermin.
When talking to him, I call him Rupert. His name is Andrew, which got shortened to Roo, which got lengthened to Rupert. Sometimes Rupee. I have called him that for years. When he was in middle school I was not supposed to say it in public (which did not work well as I was the asst principal in his school so we were always in public together) but now that he’s in high school, he doesn’t seem to mind.
My entire family, even though I am 38 years old, insists on calling me Chrissy. (Real name is Christine.)

My son was always Bups. When he was a few months old he was Pumpkaboobles or Pumpkabups. Now at 16 he only answers to Dan or Bups. Pumpkins just gets me weird looks. :rolleyes:
I was Poopsie McGee myself, back in the day.

Are you with me Dr. Woo? What was your brothers name anyway? Were your parents musicians? I just thought Bup sounded, well… sounded cool

Jacqueline (age 5.5) is mainly called Jac, also Jac-a-lope and Cicciolina
Audrey (age 13 months) is Qing Qing (play on her Chinese name) and cha-ching
Serena (age 13 months) is Ling Ling (play on her Chinese name)

Both boys get called “chickie” which is then Japanized to “chickie-chan”, which confuses the hell out of all the Japanese people who hear it!

Otherwise the older one is Osh-squosh and the younger one is Haj-Baj, both of which are very, very, very corrupted plays on their names.

My dad always called me “Blue” or “Blue-boy” bcause of my eyes (both my parents my siblings have brown eyes - I’m a classic case of recesive genetics). He still does sometimes.

He also calls my sister “Bali” and my brother “Cha-cha,” the former because it’s similar to her real name, the later for reasons unknown.

We call my son - 1 year old as of yesterday - “Ducky” for basically the same reason: dukkydukkydukkydukkydukky. Other names include “Cheeky”, “Shafan” (rabbit), and “Monkeyboy.”

Whatever pops into my head, which is often a bit unusual. Monkeyface, pigeonhead, goofy guts… Very silly, the kids seem to love it. And then they each have their name-based nicknames, Wacko Zacko, Emma Dilemma and Zany Delaney. Emma tends to rebel against hers though, so I try to remember not to call her that too much (unless, of course, I really want to antagonize her, which is my maternal right :wink: )