Nintendo Switch Recommendations for a young child

There are a number of sales going on, and I’m looking for recommendations for my kid. Specifically, what is the general learning curve/age for Mario+Rabbids? I’m going to pick of BOTW, though I don’t expect him to be able to play it just yet. I want to get Animal Crossing, but am under the impression there’s a lot of reading in it, and he’s just a very beginner reader. Thanks!

I also purchased a Nintendo Switch that just arrived two days ago. I grabbed Rime at the local library just to have something to test it with and have Super Mario Odyssey on the way. I played Breath of the Wild on Wii U already.

I’m curious as well.

I did hear that you should buy the sales on Amazon, and redeem them. You get “coins” for purchases with Nintendo, and if you buy them on sale at Nintendo, your coins are reduced, but if you buy at a discount elsewhere, you get full credit when you redeem. I don’t know what the coins are for yet…

I added a few words to the title, to make it clearer.

I’ve heard Yoshi’s Crafted World described as “baby’s first platformer”, saying it was a bit too easy for them even as fans of easy platformers. I think it might genuinely be a good introduction to the 2D platformer for a younger child or one not too familiar with them.

Animal Crossing has great kid-friendly style to it, but it does tend to require a decent bit of reading to get you started at least, and a lot of the charm is in what the villagers say. It could be possible a young reader could enjoy it if they were helped out at the beginning, but it might not be worth buying just yet. I’d suggest watching someone playing the game from the start on YouTube to get a feel.

I can’t say much about Mario+Rabbids, as I’ve not played it. I just know it’s a tactical strategy game.

Awesome. He has a Paw Patrol platformer that he loves, so that’s likely right in his wheelhouse.

:smack: I’m not sure why I didn’t think of that - thanks.

For $10, it may be worth just banking Rabbids now, but it’ll probably too hard.

How old is your kid?
There’s some reading in Animal Crossing because the villagers talk to you in text. (You can’t really talk back). But most of it is filler and very little of it is necessary to play the game. I think a first or second grader may need to ask you for help from time-to-time, but would be fine most of the time. (Oh, also, the game really only allows one main player per switch. If you do get the game, decide who that main player is going to be before starting. The secondary players are very limited.)

At that price, I was finally willing to grab it. I’m a bit too tired to play right now, though, but I do play it relatively soon, I might give my thoughts on it.

Mario rabbids is good fun and the difficulty ramp-up is pretty gentle.

How young is young? Mario Kart is excellent and it has control assistance that means you can make progress and have fun at any age.
And yes BigT, Crafted World is an excellent choice as the levels can be fairly straightforward (if you just want to finish it) or fiendish (if want to be a completionist). Plus, it just looks gorgeous and happy.

He’s five, and Mario Kart was the first game we got. It’s perfect - I’m really impressed with the motion controls of the joy cons.

Amazon has BOTW for $48 hard copy, or $41 digital. Is it worth having resale value for $7?

Five might be a little young for rabbids (but you’ll enjoy it in the meantime), Crafted World would be perfect I think.

Depends if you are going to sell it or not. We’ve had a physical copy for four years now and it is on repeat play for all four of us so we could have bought it digitally. Those that you are likely to play once and sell (as I have done with several) have kept value very well. e.g. bought for £35, sold for £25.

Kirby All Stars? It was on sale a few months ago (dunno what the current price is) and aims at young children. You can download the demo for free.

Ah yes, there’s a great idea. Search out the free demos.Try before you buy.

I have a Switch now and am playing Super Mario Odyssey with my 12-year old daughter(she’s the cap, I’m Mario).

I have a question about the Switch. Will any micro-SD card work as extra storage? I see some are “Nintendo Switch licensed”, but is that just a scam to up-sell me to a more expensive one? My phone has whatever micro-SD card I could find cheap from Amazon and its extra storage is fine.

I’ve never bothered getting one that was “licensed” as such, when I’ve bought from Amazon somewhere in the questions or the blurb has been a note that it works on the Switch so I’ve just taken a punt on those, no problems seen so far.

We use a Sandisk Micro SD card. 'm hesitant to use a too cheap card for fear of data loss (and also lower reading speed), but otherwise wouldn’t care whether it is ‘licensed’.

I just was browsing Switch games yesterday and saw there are some Lego games for the Switch. They’re pretty simple games that aren’t very challenging (unless the controls get awkward). Those might be a good pick-up, especially if it’s an IP he knows and likes already.

I’d say no on the Mario+Rabbids game. It’s a turn based strategy game with players going back an forth on a grid like playing field where calculating number of moves, strike distances, damage %, etc. are essential for playing. Not really for a 5 year-old.
Anything Kirby would be good.
Rocket League might be fun depending on who he’s playing against. Basically playing soccer with remote control cars.

Mario Kart

Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, it has a character that is immune to most of the enemies. I know a 5 year old who struggled at first but then finally beat it.

Super Mario 3d World is fun as well and you can play it as a multi-player and help out the little ones at the harder bits.