No Blood for Oil..... Well Maybe

The American Red Cross just got an idea;

Blood Donations = a CHANCE at free gas.
Am I the only one who is slightly put off by this?

What I mean is, the title holds the most often used slogan for not sending U.S. Troops to war, Yet, American Red Cross seems to about face on this, indirectly. I don’t know who, but it seems like someone is trying to play both sides of this thing.

Also, Why Gas, and why Now?? Perhaps the net rumblings of this organization having secret agendas, and secret owners isn’t too far off…
There is something wrong here, and I can’t figure it out. I can only wonder if that’s by design.

It doesn’t bother me. The Red Cross saves many lives with their blood drive. If this gets people in to donate, cool.

Free gas promotions seem to be pretty common lately, what with the high prices. It’s just another one of those, I bet the “blood for oil” never came into it.

There is indeed something wrong, but it can be treated with medication.

Well, yeah, that’s pretty much it.

The nation’s blood supply falls during summers and the holiday season. Only 15% of the American population regularly donates, and that 15% gets smaller when people go on summer vacation. Blood services is offering a year of free gas in hopes of getting more people in the door.

And on a personal note: I’m a volunteer and, more recently, a paid employee. Do tell about “…net rumblings of this organization having secret agendas, and secret owners isn’t too far off…” so I can get a good giggle.

The story I hear most about blood donation is this, on a fairly regular basis:

“The blood supply is at a dangerously low level and everyone is urged to donate.”

The only source of blood for humans is other humans. And since it’s against the law for blood banks to sieze people off the streets, tie them down in a chair and suck the life out of them they have to do what they can to get people in that chair and voluntarily give up a pint.

Sadly, not enough people donate blood out of the goodness of their hearts. (No pun intended.) So, organizations that run on a budget have to do what they can to get people in the door. I don’t see an agenda other than trying to up the amount of blood available to people who need it.