No, dipshit, Eminem was not "oppressed by the man"

Thanks for the cite V&D.
What a maroon! What rock did this imbecile crawl out from under?

It’s entirely possible he’s just full of shit. You know, telling the fans who love him because he is so hateful, “Man, I didn’t even know he was a faggot man”

I mean, most people new Elton John was gay before Elton John did.

Who’s Elton John? :smiley:

what’s the problem here? Eminem didn’t know that a guy he had probably never heard of was gay? it’s not as if he was being interviewed by loder and was like “WTF?!? He’s gay?”
jb

I heard that Eminem had some kind of a falling out with his mother, but that doesn’t make any sense. If he’s not getting along with his mother, who in the hell is dressing him like that?

ahhhh…fuck 'em both. A favorite quote of mine from Liam Ghallager (subtitled, of course, because his Mancurian accent is impenetrable):

“The only reason Eddie Vedder is so depressed is that Kurt Cobain committed suicide and he wishes he’s thought of it first. Eddi Vedder ought to knock himself off and take one of the fuckin Spin Doctors with him.”

Obviously this quote is a little dated (some folks might be scratching their heads and saying “the Spin who?”), but it struck me pretty funny.

I don’t get it…where did the Jackoff in quesiton say something about “Whitey?”

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why Eminem didn’t win. I don’t particularly care, but it seems like typical awards show bullshit to me. Think about it: he’s widely regarded in the industry as being a really talented rapper. So it’s okay to give him best rap performance. Rap is still not mainstream enough for anyone to let him beat out pop acts for best album. I’m sure his controversy wasn’t the only reason…but it wouldn’t shock me at all if it were part of the reason.

No, the jagoff in question did not specifically mention “Whitey”. That was added in a bit of a bitter attempt at being funny. So dreadfully sorry to have taken that liberty.
<Look, there I go being bitter again>

And NO, controversy was not a part of it. That’s what I’m saying. That was my entire point. If the Grammys thought that Eminem was too controversial, they wouldn’t have even had him on the show.

The fact that they had him playing with Elton John actually shows that they were going for controversy/shock value, since the only reason they let it happen was to get people’s attention. (I mean God, Elton was basically a token up there. He sang what, three lines, over and over again?) The Grammys, in their blatant attempt to be “cool,” “hip,” and “with it,” (insert rolleyes smiley here), decided to raise a little controversy.

Eminem did not win best album of the year, once again, and say it with me now, children, because he didn’t have the best album of the year. Controversy played about as much of a role in the decision as did one of the judges having severe gas, and being in a bad mood.

I actually liked Marshal Mathers LP a lot, but I’m continually amazed at how people are so offended by the content, specifically in the lyrics in context of the songs.

On one song (Real Slim Shady) he comments on gay marriage stating (with a comment on Tom Green antics and nature programs on the Discovery channel) “But if we can hump dead animals and antelopes then there’s no reason that a man and another man can’t elope”, which I took as a statement to society at large to mean “what is so shocking about gay marriage? You have television broadcasting the truly bizarre, yet same-sex marriage is still controversy?”

In the same song he states " I’m like a head trip to listen to, cause I’m only givin you things you joke about with your friends inside your living room The only difference is I got the balls to say it in front of y’all and I don’t gotta be false or sugarcoated at all I just get on the mic and spit it and whether you like to admit it"

Which I can’t help but to see as true, and valid about most (if not all) of us and the public faces we wear as opposed to the comments we make in the privacy of our own homes. I’m fairly sure that all of us have (and often still do) laugh at jokes and/or situations which are based in cruelty to minorities, homosexuals, or women despite how well intended we may be towards those people. Hell some of us are those people and we still do it.

In another song “Stan” the one performed with Elton he comments to a fan that the things he says onstage and in his song are just joking around, or intended as such. I’m fairly certain that he would continue to make his money if he stated that he hated gays and women, but he takes the time to directly state to the contrary.

EMINEM stated that he liked Elton because “He got it”, meaning he understood the gist and the “joke” of the lyrics. I see Eminem’s lyrics as an almost stream of conciousness form of composition, where things enter his mind and he pens thim without filtering for those people who lack that ability in themselves.

If there is a failing in Eminem (outside of his obviously fucked up personal life which, as I live in a glass house I will not throw aspersions on) I would say it is not in him so much as in his fan’s and critic’s inability to understand that he is stating what he thinks w/o the bullshit filtering that most of us use when we communicate.

I was especially galled that people began to say horrible things about Elton because of the duet.

Marshal Mathers is the only rap record I have bought for myself since Ill Communications (Beastie Boys). It’s a damn good CD, the music composition is excellent, the emotions are raw (I would compare it on an emotional level with the feelings I got from Exile In Guyville (Liz Phair)) and honest, but then if you are the kind of person who can’t see Alice Cooper w/o thinking that he is anti midget or w/o wanting to hang midgets yourself, then you probably lack the ability to deal with an honest LP like Marshal Mathers so you should stick to Backstreet Boys or the like. I would say it was a good contender for Album of the year, and while I’m glad Steely Dan finally got a grammy I didn’t feel the record was on par with the other three nominees, I felt RadioHead had it coming to them and that Midnight Vultures is certainly kickass I didn’t feel it was on par with Odaley or Mellow Gold. Actually I wished Moby had gotten the nomination and won for Play.

The only award that actually pissed me off was Aimee Mann losing to Macy Gray. wtf? The Magnolia soundtrack is track for track the best (well minus the Supertramp stuff) CD I own by a female artist.

apologies for not really touching on the OP, but I wanted to express this opinion and did not really want to create a new thread to do so.

I was not at all offended by the lyrics to M&M’s songs, in fact, I thought some were real funny. I am not really a rap man, actually it is my lease favorite type of music, but I think That Dre 2001 was a better albumn then the Marshal Mathers LP.

The best CD of the year was no doubt “Farmhouse” by my fellow Burlingtonian hippies Phish. No question.