"No long Fourth of July weekend for YOU!"

FYI, in case you didn’t know the reason for the rule, it stems from the “run” on banks that caused many of them to fail (because they didn’t have sufficient cash reserves) when the stock market crashed in the 1920’s. Many banks just closed their doors to prevent customers from trying to withdraw their savings that the bank had actually invested in stocks that were now worthless. That’s how the FDIC came about, and all those lovely rules about what banks can & can’t do.

Working the 3rd, off on the 4th.

Only so many people in our office can be out on that day, according to my supervisor, so it was seniority and first-come-first-served to take a vacation day. Unfortunately, I’m very junior (only a couple of weeks working there!) and had absolutely no chance of getting to be one of the lucky ones granted vacation.

Ah, just as well. I like my new job.

My vacation starts tomorrow and ends July 5. But even if I hadn’t taken leave, I would have taken the 3rd off, just because. Lucky for me, I have that option.

We get the third and the fourth off–but I’m on call that weekend.

I do get double time plus holiday time, though, if I have to work on Monday or Tuesday, so I won’t complain too much.

Since this is basically a poll, I’ll move it to IMHO for you.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB

I technically have a four-day weekend, but as always, I’m on call. Fortunately, I have a pager, but I do have to stay within 20 minutes of my PC in case anything bad happens.

I’m thinking the 5th would be the best day off. The intention would be to give employees a day off to recooperate. Fireworks are not a day-time activity. People will be out late on the 4th.
They really need to let me run this place.

I’m not working, as my last day is June 28th, but the store is open, 24 hours a day, only closes Thanksgiving evening and Christmas morning for about 6 hours each.

I am working Monday the third but we are off the 4th for the holiday and I’m off the 5th for my Alternate Work Week Program

I’m getting laid off this month so unless I elect to train my replacements in the new facility I’ll be applying salt to the edge of a margarita glass. Mmmm, 4th of July margaritas.

Go ahead and be jealous. I got into this situation over a long period of steadily using less leave than I earned, because my bosses always asked “Could you come back on friday, instead on monday?” or the equivalent. I had lots of leave requests come back whining about not having enough coverage.

Now, I absolutely have to use every single hour I accrue, by state law.

This is soooooo cool. I earn more leave than anyone, and I pick up “compensatory” time at the rate of 15 days a year on top of that, plus extra leave for “on call” and “Voluntary Overtime.”

I am a monster created entirely by bad management decisions over decades.

Six weeks in April. Another week next month, and I think maybe two weeks in October.

And my attendence has been perfect over most of 27 years.

And I just got done with eight and a half hours of OT today, plus an hour of accrued leave for calling in.

Don’t even ask about sick leave.

Yeah, I’ll be working the third, and the forth. But I probably will never work another April, and maybe not more than half of October either.

hehehehheheheh.

Tris

Sorry to hijack your thread, Eve.

And for the record, I cannot see your sparkling as a negative.

I work the 3rd. I guess people want cable installed during the long weekend.

All *&#%@%! weekend, thankyouverymuch.

One coworker will be on vacation.

Two asked for the day off weeks ago and were approved. Of these two, one I KNOW will bang in sick the day before. She’s done it before.

My manager’s already said that he refuses to work on ANY holiday, so we’re not expecting to see him.

That leaves…who? One other FT coworker, one PT, and yours truly.

On July 4th.

Running a supermarket bakery.

I apologize in advance if we don’t have enough hamburger/hot dog rolls. There’s only so much one can do with 3 pairs of hands without having cardiac arrest.

My client is open the 3rd, closed on the 4th. So that’s the schedule I’ll be working.

The thing is, I’m on straight contract, so I don’t get vacation or holiday pay. OTOH, the client has started discussion on extending my contract, or hiring me on full-time.

At my previous company, we got the six major federal holidays – and were supposed to be happy we got even that much.

I’ll be lucky to get the 4th off, boss thinks cos I’m not American I don’t need to cellibrate independance day at all :wink:

Let’s see, I am taking vacation on the 29th and 30th, have the weekend, then have holiday time for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, then vacation time for the 6th and 7th, then the weekend again. Although I may skip the vacation time on the 6th and 7th. I may need to get some medical stuff done later this year and I am out of sick time, so would need to use vacation for it. :frowning:

I might have to go in on the 3rd, it’s about 30/70 that I will right now. Of course, if I pick up the 1st, then I won’t have to go in on the 3rd, and I’ve already got the 5th covered to deal with the inevetible hangover from the party on the 4th and have been scheduled for the 6th-24th off for a long while, I might be able to turn this into a 23 day weekend.

Not bad.

My boss is British, and will be here in our offices that week, so I had to remind him this morning that I will not be here the 3rd or the 4th.

A lot of the senior management in our department is from our London office, so the running joke is we won’t get July 4th off anymore, but instead get Guy Fawkes Day off.

Actually, I’d love to get the vacation schedule of our European offices. Seems like they’re always closed for some holiday or something.

The newspaper I work at is closed the 4th and open the 3rd. I don’t mind - I’ve always liked mid-week breaks.

~Tasha