No nookie for Jack

It’s a re-write of the Broadway play “No No Nanette” set in Oklahoma City.

Mrs. In-The-Box just misspelled “Mononoke”. That’s why Jack looks so puzzled at first.

Boy, that woman sure gets around in commercial land.

:confused: I may be missing something here because I haven’t seen the commercial, but I thought from the OP’s summary that a key “plot” point was that the husband was trying to cheat at the game. (That is, he claimed that “swavory” was a word, which it ain’t.)

Mind you, I’m not claiming that threatening suspension of conjugal privileges is a commensurate response to attempted cheating at Scrabble, but it’s not as though the husband won the game fair and square and the wife just gratuitously threw a tantrum about it.

In short, I think your emotional investment in the issue of misandrist unfairness in television commercials may have led you to misinterpret the sequence of events a little bit.

They’re not playing Scrabble. Scrabble uses a square board and tiles. They’re playing on an octagonal board with octagonal tiles. Who knows what the rules are for their game? How do we know “swavory” is cheating? And if Jack had the letters for “swavory”, why not just spell “savory”? Oh, right… it’s a TV commercial.

I like the commercial, and the sandwich is actually pretty good. So - win/win.

Surely this is a reference to the legendary Masked Marauders.

Wow. I have that album!

The funny thing about advertising and what commercials are/their purpose is played out completely in this thread and this thread alone.

…is how most people think commercials should work

…is how most commercials do work.
IMO there really isn’t a right or wrong viewpoint, just funny how it played out here

Thanks a heap, you just made me go actually watch the silly commercial. :wink:

Well, we don’t know for certain what counts as cheating, of course, but the game seems to be pretty obviously a copyright-infringement-dodging take-off on Scrabble, with an ordinary square grid for the crosswords despite the snazzy-looking octagonal tiles. And the point seems to be that you’re supposed to spell actual English words, just as in Scrabble.

That one’s an easy guess: he needed the extra letter to reach the triple-word-score space.

Anyway, I completely agree with previous posters that the only real point of the ad is to generate some buzz about Jack in the Box, so I doubt that either the rules of “StopSignScrabble” or the individual psychology and marital relationship of the protagonists are going to stand up to any serious analysis.

I live that life! :frowning:

So, Jack’s not In the Box tonight.