No viva Fidel! - Castro 1926 - 2016

Not quite all of them. Luis Posada Carriles is still alive.

Yeah, Canada might want to think of a do-over now that he’s gonna have to deal with Trump.

Note my sarcasm in post number 2 of this very thread. (ETA: Well before Trudeau’s comments were made.)

Trudeau is a light-weight “Kum ba yah” Prime Minister with pretty much no credentials. I don’t hate the guy, and share a lot, if not all of his morales, but he’s out of his depth and sometimes clueless.

Canada will be fine under him, and his cabinet, but he’s not really a worthy candidate for Prime Minister.

Upon rereading that Trudeau quote, I realized that it can be corrected with the mere addition of four letters, bolded:

Tell me, Cold Phoenix, how do you respond to the Amnesty International report on Cuba? just US propaganda?

To the mark.
“Today, we offer condolences to Fidel Castro’s family, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Cuban people,” Obama said in the statement.

The Hill

Maybe Trudeau can get a hold of some of Obama’s speechwriters when he’s done with them. The full text deserves to be posted:

I say, burn them again, and piss on those ashes.

Yeah, thats pretty much the kind of statement that the foreign ministry should have given out in Ottawa. When I read what Justin said, to me it more reads like someone giving condolences to a family friend, than one world leader commenting on another one.

That reminds me of a bit from Leave It to Beaver: In one episode the Cleavers and the Rutherfords (Lumpy’s family) went on a picnic. Lumpy’s little sister Violet kissed Beaver, and her dad Fred took a picture of it. The picture got printed in the newspaper of the place where Fred and Ward worked! Naturally Beaver was furious. But so was Violet. He later told her he burned up the picture and spat on the ashes. :smiley: Sounds like what you could have done to your “ashes.” :smiley:

Have you ever pissed into some smoldering ashes? You won’t do it a second time, I’ll clue ya.

I went to Cuba once, which was enough for me. People were friendly but frustrated. Everything looked like it was from the 50s, and in rough shape. Food was rationed, and I was told for a middle class family, dinner of a bologna sandwich rather than rice and beans was a weekly treat. Castro was a character, but younger Cubans want progress. The embargo was flawed and hurt the Cuban people, who deserved more. I have no idea whether Batista was worse.

That’s because that’s what Castro was. He and Trudeau père had a long relationship. Castro was an honorary pallbearer at his funeral.

Yeah, I realize that and if junior had phoned Raul and expressed those thoughts I would have been fine with it, as it is, he made them as PM, not junior private citizen and again was tone deaf to what people think of Castro.

I get it, we have and are one of the few countries that does have good relations with Cuba, In my opinion Trudeau’s condolences should have been more in line with Obama’s, for the Cuban people going forward.

Actually, a lot of countries have good relations with Cuba. We’re not unusual in that respect. It’s the US that is the outlier.

They are just trying to make the world safe for democracy.

Right- which means it’s silly to blame Cuba’s problems on the US embargo. Cuba had trade relations with loads of countries, and that never benefitted ordinary Cubans.

Looks like a hatchet job. Spot checking their claims on poverty, both the World Bank and the CIA estimate Cuba’s GDP per capita at twice that of Honduras (Cite). A look at that website’s other articles indicates they’re pushing a particular agenda.

I agree that Castro was a horrible person and that he screwed up Cuba’s economy, but that site’s opinions can be safely ignored.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Nice link. Gracias.

Interesting, in regards to Cuba, the difference between The World Bank and the CIA numbers.