No wireless internet after hard drive replacement

I just had the hard drive on my HP zx5000 series pavillion laptop with which contains a Broadcom 54g maxperformance wirless card. When I check my computer, hardware it says it is working properly. However, it says that it is disabled and when I right click it under internet connections I don’t even have an option for enabling it. I went to hardware, right clicked and enabled it, but it still doesn’t work. Is there a button on the computer somewhere? Any advice about what I am doing wrong and can do to get it to work again? The new HD is loaded with the recovery disc. I am currently running Windows XP home SP1.

The first thing I would try is to go into the Device Manager, right-click on the device and select Uninstall. After it’s been removed, restart Windows and allow it to detect the card and re-install the necessary drivers. If this fails, you may wish to go to the manufacturer’s website and download the updated drivers for it, then repeat the above process, except don’t allow Windows to automatically install the drivers, but use the update you just downloaded, instead. Hope this helps.

My laptop has a little button you can press to enable/disable the wireless card. So look for a button with a little picture of a radio antenna on it.

So, right on top of the keyboard is a button with a little antenna, and the words “wireless” printed above it. Pressed it and I came online. It still wouldn’t connect, but I started clicking all kinds of things and eventually I am on the net. Thank you very much for the assistance.