Non-Californians: What Do You Want To Say To SDMB California Voters?

Time to let ol’ Painless out of the bag.

It’s jarring to see that some jamoke with $1.5million can hijack the legitimate government of a US state. And the damn fool didn’t even get himself elected !

Gov. Davis didn’t break any laws or do anything unethical. He was rightly elected, and he should be allowed to serve his full term.

Um, like, DECADES! :stuck_out_tongue:

Davis signing the bill giving drivers’ licenses for illegal immigrants makes the movement of terrorists within the entire USA, not just California, even easier than it already is (<sarcasm>thanks a lot!</sarcasm>). As long as we’ve gotten to this point already, I say vote “yes” on the recall just for this bonehead position and vote for Arnold. If you don’t like Arnold, look at it this way: the next governor is almost certainly going to have a very tough time fixing the huge problems Davis is responsible for. Let him take the heat instead.

It’s jarring to see things like people saying the recall is undemocratic or someone can “hijack the legitimate government” because this is simply wrong. You can say this recall is a bad idea or that the CA constitution should be amended to eliminate or restrict recalls and we can talk. However, your statement is, as I said, wrong because recalls are in the democratically established constitution.

The CA constitution doesn’t place these limits on the recall.

If Arnold Schwarzeneggar is elected governor of California, then Bush will make thirty appearances there next summer. California has what, like fifty electoral votes or something? The Bush campaign wrote off California pretty early in 2000, but if Arnold is governor they won’t do that this time. They’ll make a play for the state, and even if they don’t win it, the challenger’s camp will have to defend itself there. And every day, and every dollar they spend in California is one they can’t spend in a swing state like Pennsylvania, Wext Virginia, or Florida. I don’t want George Bush to be the president anymore, so I’d rather not see Arnold Schwarzeneggar as governor of California. Other than that factor, I don’t care.

You’re screwed.

Have a nice day, though :).

Wext Virginia, the little-known state between Tesas and Nopth Dakota.

Aww, crap.

HA! Davis was outed with a larger percentage of a larger number of voters than actually elected him in the first place!

I would just say to you all:

<walks up>

:smack:

<walks away>

But hey, I live under a Repub govnuh and mayuh and we’re still sinnin’ and taxin’ away here.

I’m with the pointing and laughing group.
David Cassidy for California senator!
runs away

See now, no one told me there’s be more sinning. I’m all for that!

Yep, when I signed the petition for the recall, it was only because I was paid to, and then threatened physically by the petition-taker. It had nothing to do with the way I felt about the issue. That wouldn’t be possible at all.

The number I read in the papers are that California residents get back $0.70 in federal services, such as highway and other infrastructure, for every $1 in federal taxes paid. I also read that GW will do everything he can to help Arnie win the state’s electoral votes in 2004.

If that includes more California tax money returned to California it will come out of your pockets so laugh while you can.

As Texas Guinan (sp?) used to say, “Hello, Suckers.”

"Uzi 9mm."

"Uzi 9mm."

I think I’m whooshed, but is this a reference to The Terminator? As in the line after “Phase plasma rifle in 40-watt range.”?

http://www.ai.mit.edu/people/maddog/terminator.html

I knew this was going to happen. Swear to god, premonition that Davis would get kicked off & Schwarzenegger elected.

As a non-Californian who has lived in the state (and was there in the summer of 2001) I have to say Hah! Big popular actor media figure runs for a position in office, makes little or no stand on his position in the debates and problems, and gets elected. By a landslide, IIRC. IMHO the voters just made a mockery out of the state government.

My piece of the colelctive $802.14

It’s a line of Arnie’s dialogue. Hard to miss, there’s only 16 of them.

I think that instead of playing the state song for Arnold (or whatever music is played when the Guv makes an entrance) they should play the Terminator Menacing Theme Song.

And when the state legislature doesn’t vote his way, Arnold’s left eye should glow an evil red color, then he should produce a sawed-off shotgun from under his duster and annihilate the whole state senate.

Or maybe the same music they play whenever Darth Vader walks into a room.

Native Californian, but I left when I was a wee lad and identify more with Florida or nowhere at all. So, from a Florida perspective, misery loves company.

Voters generally get the politicians they deserve. It will be interesting to view this from a year or two distance. But it could get scary if the national economy perks up, as it shows signs of doing, and Arnold gets the credit. I saw a Republican pundit (chairman of the national committee?) gloating about how they own the governor’s mansion in California, Texas, Florida and New York now. Which only served to reinforce the Senator Palpatine image.