non camp gay celebrity

Is that a joke? He oozes “gay” to me.

What about Sir John Gielgud?

no joke.
I just didn’t see it.

even after I read in one of his books that he and his best friend Pat ( a female) would sit in bed together watching tv, and Pat’s husband was okay with this.

Ian Roberts.

Well, considering that American courts still consider an “accusation” of being gay to be defamation, you may refer to Tim, Jodie and other alleged closet cases as gay if you wish, but at your peril. Look at what happened to Chad Slater.

Personally I have little interest in claiming closet cases.

I thought Kevin Spacey was married. No?

No.

Do they? Find me such a case in U.S. courts within the last ten years.**Look at what happened to Chad Slater.**Not a good example. He falsely claimed that he and a married man (Tom Cruise) were lovers. That the claim was false, that it involved a claim of adultery, and that the case was settled out of court, muddles the issue. False claims of adultery are actionable anywhere.

how so?

Walloon answers this it does not simply mean sterotype

The only one I said was DeGeneris. I was surprised to find out she was gay. Sure, in retrospect, she wore alot of vests – but Hollywood and her show all traded on her pre-out personae – in her show she dated men and she had a movie (the Wrong Guy) where she played a hetro.

So, before she came out and announced the fact, IIRC an outing largely fueled by tabloids once she started dating Ann Heche, BEFORE that – the vast majority of people bought that she was straight (given the movie and TV making thru audience screenins and reactions and TV and Holywood execs with her portraying a straight gal) Given that, I would say there is ample evidence that she wasn’t camp.

Her TV show in the immediate impact of the coming out veered a bit. Since then, in comedy shows and on her current show, it is the same shtick she always used – and again, I would suggest that for most people: if you didn’t know – you wouldn’t know

Ellen had already filmed her coming-out episode (aired April 1997) when she met Ann Heche in March 1997.

He’s actually bisexual. He’s had relationships with** Jane Pratt** (editor of Jane and Sassy Mags) and Toni Collette among others.

From a Jane Pratt editors entry:

“I was going to say Michael [Stipe of R.E.M.] and I used to date, but he says, ‘Let’s just throw the euphemisms right out the window and say that we…were friends and lovers on and off for several years.’”

Didn’t realize I’d left his last name off…:smack: And thanks.

As for Tim Curry, I just figured everybody knew he was gay. I didn’t realize he’d never actually come out. Thanks for the heads-up on that. Still not campy, either way!:slight_smile:

Oh and vanilla, I have no cite, but remember reading some time ago that Tim and Annie Potts (from Designing Women) are just really close friends. I never heard they dated, but I know if he were one of my friends, I’d probably tell everyone within earshot that we did. I think Tim Curry is awesome!

I tseem to rember that the short definition of camp according to Sontag is

“failed seriousness” -

No, Kevin Spacy cannot possibly be gay, because he wants me. :wink:

A few years back Dan Butler narrated a documentary about gay stereotypes and innuendo in old Hollywood films called, IIRC, Color Me Lavendar: The Silver Screen. In it, he spoke as though it were firmly established that Randolph Scott had been gay. There was a lot of gossip during his life about his longstanding friendship with Cary Grant.

Grant was widely figured to be bisexual. Ditto Laurence Olivier.

Would attorney/crawly thing Roy Cohn count as a “celebrity”? After he died of AIDS, it was estimated that he had paid over one thousand men to have sex with him. It is thought, in hindsight, that Joseph Welch’s famous challenge to him during the McCarthy hearings–that he wanted to know if a faked photo Cohn had been trumpeting as evidence, but which he later claimed to have never seen, had been brought onto the table by a “pixie”–may have been a secret dig at Cohn.

Cohn denounced and defamed homosexuals throughout his career. A number of other other anti-gay political figures also come to mind, such as G. Harrell Carlswell, whom Nixon nominated for the Supreme Court, and the Rev. Billy Sol Hargis. Both of them served time on molestation charges.

There have, of course, been unproven or unresolved claims made about other prominent political and religious figures. Lloyd Garrison, who at first claimed that Clay Shaw had conspired to assassinate President Kennedy as part of some weird homosexual love pact, was alleged to be gay, and is said to have been forced out of a country club on account of it. I recall there were rather well substantiated claims made against several of the Rev. Jim Bakker’s pals as well. And, of course, there are always the claims about J. Edgar Hoover and his assistant with whom he shares a funeral plot.

Well, see the problem with saying, “Well, EVERYONE knows that so and so is GAY” is that it kind of feeds into stereotypes. Depending on one’s reasoning for assuming that they’re gay-if they constantly are sucking face with the same sex then yeah, it’s probably pretty safe to say that he or she is gay.

But if a person just fits a certain stereotype, well, it just doesn’t sound right. Plus, said person may just feel that his or her orientation is no one else’s business.

Have you seen the Simpsons episode, Homer’s Phobia, in which Waters gives voice to John, the gay owner of “Cockamamie’s” antique store?

It’s one of my favourite Simpsons episodes of all time, and i think it actually won an Emmy.

Guess I don’t watch enough Entertainment Tonight. I had no clue.