Non-Sleeper cell -- for those who want to ramble at night, not bright and early

Well, we can’t have this. No birthday cards? That bothers me no end. I’m blessed to get birthday cards and display them for weeks after my birthday–yes, even the one from State Farm. Of COURSE there are people who are glad you were born. I mean, I’m a people, and I’m glad. Why they’re not telling you so is a testament to how foolish and easily distracted we humans are.

Spoon, Boo, please PM me your addresses and birthdays so I can send you cards. These won’t be pity cards, either. I love sending people cards, and I care about you both.

shoe, oh, the times I’ve replayed old sore experiences with a revised script! I still do it. I think it’s a healthy way of acknowledging I’m stronger and savvier now. GO GET 'EM!

I love getting them and they stay tucked in the frame of the bathroom mirror for months! A text or email birthday well-wishing works, it’s just tough to physically tuck that into my bathroom view where I see it and get warm fuzzies 10 times a day. It’s a boomer thing, like holding dead tree books in my hands (I’ve gotten over the need for a dead tree daily newspaper in my hands, thank you NYT digital).

It’s what I do for those laying awake hours when I’m desperately needing to fall asleep. If only I’d known then what I know now…Usually it is that I naively trusted person X way too much, expecting that they were operating by the same scruples I was, hell, that they were operating by scruples at all.

What would y’all think of a birthday card/paper correspondence group? I am also in the don’t get cards/would be glad to send notes and cards group.

shoe I hear you loud and clear. I do similar things myself, almost exclusively when everyone in the house is asleep and I’m awake.

I’ll send cards as well. I only send Christmas cards to a few people because, as mentioned, most people who send Christmas cards just sign their name and call it good. Ugh… I want a letter! Tell me how yoire doing, how the kids are doing, what you’ve been doing the past 12 months! I send nice cards with several hand-written paragraphs letting the recipient know how my clan has been the past year. But… I dont even get the “just a printed name on a cheap Wal-Mart card” thing.

So I’m definitely up for sending birthday and Christmas cards.

Oh please. Yes, so much this. I think this would be a fun way to help alleviate, at least in a small way, the upcoming winter blues.

Just in case it wasn’t obvious the winter blues train is in my station and shows no signs of leaving. It ain’t pretty, kids.

Weird. Cuz that sumbitch is in my station at the moment, being big and fugly and also shows no sign of leaving anytime soon.

My PTSD is an Autumn thing. It gets progressively worse through November, peaks on Thanksgiving Day, and then I’m fine. Usually I spend Thanksgiving with my Aunt and I’m kinda freaking that I won’t have her to keep me calm this year.

We can all be messes together. :blush:

I don’t think I have seasonal issues, but damn, this year’s shredding my nerves! Unfortunately for you lovely people, I’m not organized enough lately for correspondence (I still have some DVDs I’ve been meaning to send to a Facebook friend for MONTHS).

waves at Lancia and Boo from the hypertension nonsleeper train car

1:55GMT and the temps have been heavy coat and neck gator degrees Farhenheit all day.

I’ve switched to decaf, can’t watch the news after anything about trump, can’t watch tv if the news article actually featured him talking. It gets me shaking so bad. Spent $200 and 45 minutes on court ordered mediation with the ex over Vaderling. That’s over with, we’re going to court.
Heart burn is pretty bad today, this is shaping up to be a rough one.
In happier news, my GF made jambalaya for dinner on Saturday (that woman can cook:drooling_face: ) and then came over and spent the night sunday, best sleep I’ve had in a couple weeks.
I got to meet Paulette Jordan (link to wikipedia page about her)in person this evening. She was going door to door and I happened to be at my parents when she rang the bell. She was happy to hear that we had all already voted for her.

Hey both our teams did well! Yay us! I’m currently watching Bears vs. Rams, and LA is just owning Chicago.

You know, this could be the foundation of a pretty good country song. Hmmm…

Might be fun. I’ve never done anything like that before. But I think we’d need some kind of central coordinator, to keep track of real-life names (see Note below) and birthday dates, and such.

Note: Some years ago, Canada Post announced that it would no longer deliver mail addressed to “Grandma Jones” or “Uncle Frankie.” It had to be “Sally Jones” or “Mr. Frank Smith,” or similar, using obviously real names. I shudder to think what they might do to something addressed to simply, “Spoons.”

I certainly hope so.

Well, you are our outlaw troubadour…:notes::musical_note::notes:

It is such a sweet nickname. If it doesn’t have a fond backstory please don’t tell us.

Evocative imagery, I like it~ :steam_locomotive: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: :railway_car: I have a lifetime pass, senior discount.

Sorry about the custody travails. I went through that bitter agony 15 years ago. My former spouse underestimated the tenacity and fight in me when it came to my children. Fortunately they all 3 came out the other side and are doing well. I always said he could divorce me, he couldn’t divorce his children. Hang in there, they need you to. I know how painful it is, fuss and rant here all you want.

Glad you had a better night’s sleep after what sounds like a marvelous meal. It sounds lovely to have met Paulette Jordan and been able to tell her you had already voted for her, I imagine that boosted her spirits a lot too.

sneaks back into the thread

I’ve been fighting the seasonal blues, too. It’s gotten very dreary and cold here in the Chicago area – my mood didn’t used to be affected by the weather like this, but on top of all of the other crud this year, I definitely can feel the difference in my mood on dark days.

Right now, I’m debating going up to Wisconsin on a day trip to see my parents on Saturday. I’ve only seen them twice since Christmas, due to COVID concerns – both times, it was late in the summer, and we could sit outside all day. I’ve been hoping to get in one more trip before the weather completely went south, and Halloween is looking decently promising (sunny and in the 50s). But, they’re in Green Bay, which is in the midst of a major outbreak, and I’m not sure that, even with distancing and a mask, it’s a good idea. Normally, my wife and I would go up there for Thanksgiving as well as Christmas, but those are both almost undoubtedly off the table (I don’t feel comfortable sitting inside with them for any length of time), and I know that these holidays are going to be really difficult. :frowning:

So, it’s those thoughts that are keeping me up tonight.

No, it’s a fun backstory. I’ve told it before, but I don’t know if you were on the SDMB then, Boo, so I’ll tell it again.

Maybe thirty-plus years ago, I spent a lot of time at the local pub. It often had in musicians on weekends–just local bar bands and soloists, really–but there were one or two who could play bluegrass, or Celtic, or Maritime, or Appalachian music, or similar. Lots of great traditional folk tunes. I knew them well.

One of the regulars would show up with a pair of spoons, and join in. I was fascinated, how he could use common kitchen utensils to provide percussion. He was a friendly guy, so I asked him how to play the spoons. And he taught me. He taught me so well, in fact, that he once said, “It’s true. The student can outshine the master.”

Now, one night, when he wasn’t there, the musician started playing some Celtic tune. He just had a guitar. Somebody said, “This needs percussion. Where the hell is Spoons? Hey, Spoons, get up there and help out.” Well, I had my spoons with me (I always had them with me when I went to the pub on music night), and joined in. And ever after that, I’ve been known as “Spoons.”

My spoons teacher went on to be the best friend I’ve ever had. We’re still in touch, after all these years and a lot of distance. And we still love playing music. And he still, grudgingly, when forced to, admits that I’m better on spoons than he is. It all works out; he’s better on guitar than I am. But I’ve got him beat on woodwinds. We have a lot of laughs when it comes to music.

Anyway, that’s how I got my name. Like I said, a fun backstory.

I love it! Giving me a big smile. Thank you for telling it to this latecomer, I’m a diehard lover of folk music of all kinds.
I have been known to listen to bagpipes to unwind (of course that could be because of the burly guys in swirling kilts). I do draw the line at polka. It can be played, just not at any bar I’m in.

Glad you liked it, Boo. It’s fun, looking at a kitchen drawer, and not seeing utensils, but musical instruments. Hell, in my world, pocket change can also become musical instruments.

Now, would you like the story of meeting my (now ex) wife, thanks to my ability to play the spoons?

Well, of course.

Okay. Years ago, our company didn’t have a regular band, but we put one together for an annual charity drive. I can sing, so I usually fronted, but while I could do the Ramones, for example, they didn’t lend themselves to spoons. (And honestly, all I had to do was shout, since the Ramones never really sang.)

One year, the theme of the charity drive was “country,” and our company’s band was doing country music. I was fronting, and I had a boom mike, so I could raise it to my mouth to sing, while lowering it down to my left leg, which I was banging the spoons off. Anyway, we did, “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.”

“Fire on the mountain, run boy run”
Tikki-tikki-tok, tikki-tikki-tok
“The Devil’s in the house of the rising sun”
“Chicken in the breadpan, picking out dough”
“Granny does your dog bite? No child no.”

And then on into a great duet between the fiddler and the spoon player. You can imagine that after that song, between singing and spoons, I was out of breath. I’m afraid that unlike drummers we spoons players don’t have “padiddles” and the like, but I hope I’ve described it adequately.

Well. That song ended our set, and I went to get a most-welcome beer from the bar. A young lady caught up with me there, and remarked on the spoons–she’d heard about them in music, but never heard them played, much less seen them played. She complimented me on my playing in “The Devil Went Down to Georgia”, and we started talking. To make a long story short, we talked a lot over the next year, and eventually, we got married.

But it never would have happened without my spoons.

:clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :spoon: :spoon: :spoon: