Non-Sleeper cell -- for those who want to ramble at night, not bright and early

Making sure to get enough sleep is one thing, but just sleeping? I’m still working, so if I just slept the rest of the time, it would be work and sleep. Ran across an interesting article recently.

This is definitely me. And I’m not Chinese.

This week has been tough, and Thursday (already today for me) will not be any better. But we still stayed up too late, because we want to do something other than work/clean/cook.

Thank you. I loved the idea, so I tried. I don’t know how to reverse a photo on Macs so I haven’t succeeded yet, but I did manage to adjust the tone to sepia to at least differentiate mine a tad from spoons for quick scanning. Let me know if it was noticeable.

Since I like the idea, I’ll keep working at it. I can always send the original to my dear son #2 and ask he to flip it and send it back. He never makes me feel stupid. It amuses him what his mom can’t do but he respects what I can do, like give birth to him and potty train him, etc.

What software are you using for this? I can do it easily in Photoshop.

No message.

Okay, I guess I cannot link to the stuff I’ve done for Cracked. Wish I could–it was acclaimed by the editors and others.

I bet I can send it to @Spoons and he’d reverse it and send it back to me. He’s nice like that, dammit! Even if his ‘49ers are stuck playing in Arizona.

Normally, you could; but after having to get a new computer not too long ago, I still have to load my graphic design software on it. And since today’s laptops don’t come with CD-ROM drives anymore, I’ll have to get an external one, since all my design software is in that format.

Ah, I just checked. I do have MS Paint pre-installed, so if you have Windows, you likely do too, and it looks a lot more powerful than it once was. So you could do it yourself:

1. Open MS Paint.
  2. Click File --> Open, and open your picture.
  3. Resize if necessary. It may not be necessary; if it is not, skip this step.
  4. Click Rotate --> Flip horizontal.
  5. Save the flipped picture.
  6. Upload it to the SDMB.

Like I said, Paint seems to be more powerful than it once was, but also seems pretty easy to use, and fairly intuitive. No harm in giving it a try.

Perhaps we’ll just wait for your new computer and external CD drive to settle in. None of us are going anywhere, after all.

Translation: Boo is embarrassingly close to computer-illerate. I was close to 60 before I touched a computer, several years older than that before I owned even a notebook or tablet. 8 years ago I inherited my youngest’s iPhone. iPhones and iPads are all I know and not all that much of those. I can do the basics-texts, Gmail, google. Can’t create documents or files or folders. Apple is more intuitive so I can make do, stumbling around, mostly self-taught now my kids have flown the nest. I struggle to edit photos on my iPad and can do only the most rudimentary things.

Even with a crossbow to my head I couldn’t do Photoshop on a PC. I might not even be able to turn on a PC. I don’t know right click from left click.

Now you all know. Can I still hang out with you popular kids?

Thank you for your kind, gentle help spoons.

I had a few free minutes this evening. @BippityBoppityBoo, you are now facing right:

And I just came here to share the same. Well done, sir!

They beat me to it (nicely done, folks), but here’s this anyway:

Also, in case of distress, or after a few fermented adult beverages:

You’re quite welcome; and of course, you can hang out with us. You’re one of us, after all.

Photoshop is tricky, and quite advanced–I suppose one could start with Photoshop, but they wouldn’t get far without a knowledge of the product, its capabilities and limitations, design terminology, and more patience than most people have. Photoshop has its strengths, but also its weaknesses; and most of the time when I produce something, I’ll go back and forth between Photoshop and (believe it or not) PowerPoint. The latter is particularly adept at putting text on pictures, for example; which many of those Cracked photoplasties required.

But now that you’ve got a flipped avatar, I’ll look forward to seeing you use it!

You all are so nice. That little girl is tickled pink at the circle of friends she has! Thank you. Thank you.

Love this one too. The imp in me is tempted…

Keep your eyes out for it to pop up if my “raveled sleeve of care” gets any more raveled. There were lots of times in November I seriously considered rehanging my US flag on my porch upside down.

Thanks for the big dose of Vitamin M tonight, which in true BBBoo fashion is actually morning.

I use an ancient copy of Paint Shop Pro – so old that it was still a Jasc product, rather than Corel, and I think it was for Win98 – on a CD-ROM, which I won in some raffle, about 20 years ago. I’ve installed it on every computer I’ve had since then, and it still runs just fine even on Windows 10, though I now have to use a USB CD drive to install the thing. :smiley:

You are most welcome, Boo!

:vulcan_salute:t4:

As with people, the oldie but goodie programs are best!

Now, that’s a blast from the past. I was just starting to use that, back in the day, when I got a new job. The new job didn’t use it, so I never got to continue with it. On the other hand, they did use PowerPoint, and I got to stretch that to its limits; and in the process, learned how to do more on it than I’m sure Microsoft ever envisioned. Later, I learned Photoshop, and my capabilities expanded.

Boo has a good point though–if you’re comfortable with older software, and it does what you need it to, then there is no need to upgrade. I’ve been using MS Office 2007 (including PowerPoint) since, well, 2007; and see no need to change.

I still remember Photoshop 1.0, and the feeling of “My god, what will 2.0 be like?”