Non-Sleeper cell -- for those who want to ramble at night, not bright and early

Went to bed at, like, 7:30 p.m. after an enormous meal, which turned all my internal systems upside down. I’m usually a nibbler, so a single huge intake of food was a shock to my poor tummy.

So I’m already awake again at 1:30 and feeling … not queasy, but off. Ah well. Drinking lots of water because I don’t have any better ideas on how to settle things.

My sleep cycle is about to be a hot mess, isn’t it?

I hope not, but this old nurse has some ideas. Move around if the weather allows-go for a walk-it might help your inner workings resolve thing. A stroll is fine, doesn’t have to be vigorous. The hydration is a great idea. If some of the fluids are hot, even better-herbal tea (ginger in any form may help even more), honey and lemon in hot water, etc. Kneading your abdomen help stimulate beneficial peristalsis too (think of a cat kneading biscuits as we cat people say_except you knead your own tummy). A hot water bottle or heating pad on low to your tummy may help it relax and unclench too-20-30 minutes at a spell.

I’ll be thinking good thoughts for yah.

Crashed out for a couple hours, no thanks to Monkey who kept snuggling up against me and then licklicklicking which feels exactly like someone nudging you, going “Hey. Hey!”

So sweet when he leans up against me … until I have to shoo him away.

Ah, well, at least I got to enjoy that sinking, greyish feeling of drifting off to sleep, over & over.

Now I’m back up … and vaguely hungry? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Probably just have some crackers or a handful of dry Cheerios.

Ooh, it’s 4:20 a.m. :fire:

Update: the Feliway seems to be working.

Hope still misses her friend, but is getting by. We (she and I) have played trackball and with other toys, and she has joined me on the arm of my easy chair to watch TV sports. The others are wary of her, but willing to meet and greet. Hope is happy to sleep in front of the fireplace.

At least Hope’s purr is back. It is comforting while she and I watch TV sports from my armchair.

Good to hear that Spoons.

Fighting back against my own seasonal blahs, I took Vaderling out for some exploring along the south rim of the Snake River canyon, a portion of it called Sinker Creek Butte. There is a harsh, but not brutal, beauty to the desert landscape and canyon/rimrock landscape of the area, I think. I find it soothing.

I took that pic from the canyon rim, and the rocks made me think of Gatopescado so I did this

Wish I’d had a better camera than just my phone. These pics don’t truly capture majesty of the view

Anyway, these and a few other photos I took will be my touchstone for the next few weeks at the very least, until this years mental and emotional funk passes.

[quote=“DorkVader, post:605, topic:919990”]
Wish I’d had a better camera than just my phone. These pics don’t truly capture majesty of the view [/quote]

Seems I’m not allowed to copy the picture in my post, which is just as well.

Dagnabbit. We want to take a 2 month sabbatical (we were hoping for fall 2021) and keep finding corners of the U.S. to visit. I’ve been to Craters of the Moon and I know my parents and I stopped in Boise as well, so I’ve been very near there. Was only 35+ years ago. My husband’s been there as well. I think visiting Craters of the Moon kept both him and his sister from eating eggs for many years.

Great pics! I’m really hoping for a better year next year. Really hoping. Things have been so hard for so many.

Well, Boise certainly isn’t the sleepy little town it was then. Now it’s a sleepy little city.

Craters Of The Moon put them off eggs?
Are you maybe thinking of some of the geysers and pools in Yellowstone? Some of those can be rather fragrant.

Or is there an “egg incident” that happened at COTM?

I missed this topic.
I classify myself as an insomniac but since I’ve started this new medication I’m now Rip van-Wrekle. All I want to do is sleep.

I must rectify this situation.
“Hey, Doctor, I liked being an insomniac. I miss all my fellow sufferers on the Dope. Do you got pills to keep me awake at all hours?”
Yep, yep. That should work.

Seriously, Y’all keep posting. I love reading the tales.

So very glad to hear this. Thinking of it is keeping a smile on my kitties-and-their- humans-loving face.

Boy, howdy. Me too.

And this new medication would be _____? My insomniac brain sleep center needs to know.

Love the title Rip van-Wrekle, BTW .

Boo, I’m taking a bunch of crap. But, ‘torodol’ is what knocks me out. I’ve been taking less as my pain has subsided. So I’m more wakeful.

Glad you have found something that eases the pain and glad you’re able to taper down some. Hoping the pain stays beaten back.

Reading up on Torodol, I’ll pass on it for my insomnia purposes, but sure wish I’d had it a year ago when I fell and tore every ligament in my knee. Ended my NFL career it did. Sounds like it might have at least dried my tears enough I could have hobbled to the bathroom. Hope that in a very few days you don’t need anything for pain. Except Bayliss’s wet nose pushed into your hand.

HA! I see what you did there. :wink:

Boo, you changed your avatar. Took me a minute to recognize who you were.

We had a lot of debates on the old board about the use of avatars. They were either the end of civilization as we know it, or a quick way to recognize who posted a message. I wasn’t keen on them, but it seems to me that they work in this format. So it’s a little jarring when folks change them.

As an aside, the Feliway seems to be working. Hope and Fiona curled up in front of the fireplace for a nap earlier this evening; and Shiloh is still afraid, but I can tell that she’s curious. Thanks again for the suggestion!

I admired your black and white avatar, so I went for that same look. It always seemed kind of jarring that my avatar was Snoopy when my username was Disney. I never thought either would be for more than a day or two while I registered on Discourse and then settled on new ones after all the hullabaloo about re-registering settled down. Then I was given a Mumper nickname, which
I hold dear, so couldn’t change BBBoo. There is another poster who uses a Snoopy image so going for the B &W spoons effect on my new avatar appealed to me. Hope it is distinctive enough to catch your eye when you’re skimming the page. I do that same skimming to pick out what to read-some posters I skip right over and others I never want to miss.

So glad to hear this! It helped my kitties the times I used it. The refills should be fairly easy to get on-line so you don’t have to drag yourself into a brick and mortar store in these Covid times. I’m enjoying the picture in my mind’s eye of Hope and Fiona curled up together for a hearth nap.

Thanks, Boo! My avatar is Humphrey Bogart, as you can probably tell. It’s the same photo I had on a button of my windbreaker when I did my undergrad. This was the early 1980s, when the idea was to cover your jacket with buttons of rock bands, slogans, movie stars, and so on. My girlfriend (at the time) and I would eagerly look forward to Bogart revivals at the local rep cinema, and attended them when we could.

Can I give you a little graphic design advice? Reverse the avatar horizontally–that way, the face looks at your message. Doing this draws the reader’s face towards your message, instead of leading it off the page. I studied a little graphic design at a community college (long story), and that’s one of the lessons I learned. It has served me well, doing everything from corporate PowerPoints to Cracked Photoplasties.

Fiona declined to join Hope by the fire tonight, but she certainly had the opportunity. What was encouraging was that Shiloh advanced a little closer than she did last night. I guess it’s a matter of time until she feels comfortable. But the Feliway is helping.

This is fantastic advice.

Monkey literally walks all over me sometimes, so … I’m up, but I donwanna be. Having a snack and a big drink of water, but imma go back to bed in a sec.

Man, the MMPers are already up & caffeinatin’ and I’m going back to bed. I feel so lazy.

Me too, under the down-filled duvet the instant I get home from delivering the teenager to middle school. It is about a 45 minute process and I’ll be chilled when I get home, so the bed, with the promise of both warmth and a further attempt at sleep will be irresistible. I hope adulting doesn’t interfere.

Don’t be. I am in no way a morning person. Crack of dawn, posting to the MMP–no way. Give me the nice, lazy, Non-Sleeper cell thread any time. Good people here.

These days, I feel that going back to bed in the mornings is a reasonable approach. Given the pandemic, why would one not want to sleep through it as much as possible?

More days than not when I’m on baby duty, I go down for a nap as soon as Wee Weasel goes down for his. It’s extra decadent with the sun shining in and my fancy snuggly blanket.

I have the day off tomorrow so I’m going to bed even later than usual. I am one line - edit pass away from finishing the novel I’ve been working on for six years. There’s a possibility I will finish tomorrow. There’s a possibility I will finish tomorrow. I’m just dumbfounded.