Nora Ephron has died.

Breaking news. Dead at 71.

Very sad news. When Harry Met Sally is my all-time favorite rom-com.

A great smart funny lady. I will miss her.

I came to post this pretty much. RIP.

She was my fantasy celebrity lunch date. Such a loss. RIP Nora.

A lot of the giants are dying off this year. RIP, Nora. :frowning:

Damn leukemia. She was only 71. RIP.

My condolences to us all.

They should make a Nora-Ephronesque comedy about how the identity of Deep Throat was some murky secret that was never to be revealed, and everyone prided themselves on his or her Washington-insiderness by guessing who DT really was; all the while Nora Ephron knew and would tell anyone who would listen. But nobody would listen, because they were Washington insiders, and she was just some yenta from Beverly Hills.

Seriously, NY Times? I mean, I liked Nora Ephron, I really did, but smarter and funnier than Dorothy Parker?

Yeah, that’s weird. Smarter and funnier than, say, Helen Fielding and other colleagues in the romantic comedy/women’s essays/chick-lit field, sure.

Smarter and funnier than Dorothy Parker? No, not really.

Well, some said. That must mean it’s true!

My favorite bit of Nora Ephron trivia…

She was married to Nicholas Pileggi, who is best known for writing the book “Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family” which he later adapted into the film Goodfellas.

Nora was with Pileggi for many of his interviews with Henry Hill while he was writing “Wiseguy” and she took her own notes. She used those interviews as the basis of her own screenplay for My Blue Heaven.

My Blue Heaven came out in August of 1990 and *Goodfellas *was released in September of the same year.

So technically, *Goodfellas *was a prequel to My Blue Heaven.

Thing is, I *like *Nora Ephron, but she and Dorothy Parker were from entirely different universes, not only in terms of wit, but the kind of writing they did. Nora Ephron was more along the lines of Erma Bombeck (now, wait–Erma Bombeck was much better than people make out!) or Sarah Vowell.

Nora Ephron was comfy and relatable, you wanted to have lunch with her.

I loved My Blue Heaven.

It’s the shoes, right? The shoes are tragic!!

Who knew that Clare Booth Luce was still alive?

“You know, it’s dangerous for you to be here in the frozen food section.”

“Why is that?”

"Because you could melt all this stuff. "

Eve:

Indeed, and I’ll have what she’s having.

R.I.P., Nora.

Just as a slight odd sidebar - my SmartPhone news had a blurb that came through LAST NIGHT that said Nora Ephron is very ill. I had to read it twice - and sure enough, no mention of her death, just that her publicist said she was very ill…

From what I saw, it seemed the initial announcement was premature (either prematurely released or factually premature), there was a back track that she was ill but alive and then a confirmation she indeed passed away.

I suspect she would have found the whole thing funny…