Norton Lifelock Scam

Edited: Like Railer13, I worked in the industry. Kaspersky has good products, but they also have connections to the Russian government and at least one troll farm. The US ban is not paranoia.

As long as your number is blocked, sure.

Meh, I doubt they will try and track you down. I also doubt he’ll get any additional spam calls.

Of course not. What value would there be in having a telephone number associated with answering a scam email?

You half-way fell for it, or you wouldn’t have called the number at all.

I would have called because I would know it’s a scam and want to ruin some scammer’s day.

Okay, I give up; you’re all geniuses and I’m an idiot.

One tell is whether the scam e-mail addresses you by your name, or simply begins with some generic salutation like “Dear customer,”

If I get an e-mail that shows any evidence of knowing anything personal about me, then I pay attention. Not long ago, I got an unexpected e-mail that addressed me by my actual name. That got my attention. It was clearly some kind of fraudulent scam, and that bothers me.

ETA: Ditto with those scammy telephone calls I get. How many extended auto warranties do I need, anyway?

I’ve deleted the Norton email three or four times.
Norton was an invasive piece of junk when I used it many years ago.

Yeah, I haven’t used Norton or McAfee in probably more than a decade. Windows security does a very good job all by its lonesome.

bah, a genius wouldn’t be hanging out here. :smiley: your impulse to share a PSA is a kind one so good for you.

and a pox on all the scammers out there.

For what it’s worth, when I email invoices out with Quickbooks, if the person’s name is missing from the name field (maybe it’s not there, maybe it’s in the wrong place), your email with the attached invoice starts out with “Dear Customer”.

Just found an amusing one in my spam folder.

As if I’m going to open an .ISO file about a $7000 4K TV sent by a fry company.

'Tis the season for assholes, apparently. I put several furniture items on Craigslist and also on Facebook Marketplace. I instantly got two messages on FB saying “give me your cell number so I can send verification code to prevent scam.” I told them both to fuck off, in just so many words. And I’m well aware of the scam operations on Craigslist, as I’ve been selling stuff on there for 20 years. Fucking lowlifes.

I received that this Friday morning.
That sort of thing would freak out Mama Plant.

My email address is nes@iki.fi. That’s a redirection address so that I don’t need to tell anyone when my box change what my email address is. The service is signing fee only and can be found at www.iki.fi.

I’ve used that address so long that I get messages addressing me “Dear nes”. That’s a spam if you cannot even use my name.

For virus protection I use product from Finnish comppany F-Secure. The funny thing that Finland is EU’s only country where you can make antivirus software is because all other EU countries have made importing viruses illegal. How can one make antiviral software if one is not allowed to import viruses and study them. Importing and distributing are two different things. It probably stems from other illegal stuff where people always have banned importing as well as distribution.

About legit email: Companies I have business connection almost never put links or phonenumbers on their emails. They always ask you to visit their web page and sign in for further information. My telecom provider though has links in their emails. Go figure.

I got a text message the other day that an electronic funds transfer had been sent to me. All I had to do was follow the instructions on some provided link to receive the money. Hurrah!

However, funds transfer notifications AFAIK are always via email, always specify who the funds are from, and are always from a verifiable legitimate sender (e.g.- Interac). And the recipient has to already be registered to receive the funds, or has to answer a security question agreed upon with the sender.

So I deleted the text message. I might be a multi-millionaire today if I had just followed the instructions!

Or not.

Heck, that website itself reads like a scam. I did some digging and found out they’re in Pakistan which accounts for some of the bad English, but take a look at their menu - the flavor text on the “fries deal” is literally lorem ipsum.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/242093676_143200891339710_3392169161370461262_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=8mNk1xIgnNAAX8flDo-&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=8c68d7d0dc47dc29c93689c71125c84e&oe=61AF21CB

I get about one email like this a week or so. Latest one says I bought some Bitcoins through Coinbase with my Paypal account.

It really does! I haven’t seen that in the wild for fifty years.