I read those early She-Hulk issues back then. The first issue was written by Stan Lee, with art by John Buscema, so they are officially credited as the “creators” of the character. I doubt that Lee had much to do with actually creating She-Hulk, though. Every subsequent issue was written by David Anthony Kraft and penciled by Mike Vosberg, and I suspect that they were the ones who really devised the character and the set-up.
I can remember thinking at the time that the series seemed to be aping the basic situation of the Incredible Hulk tv series, in that the other characters were led to believe that Jennifer Walters was dead, and that She-Hulk had killed her. That only lasted two or three issues, but it was definitely there at the very beginning. Unlike more modern interpretations of the character, where She-Hulk has total control of her transformation, and retains her Jennifer Walters intelligence, Kraft and Vosberg’s She-Hulk was, as the title claimed, “Savage.” While she wasn’t quite at the “Hulk Smash!” level, she was quite short-tempered and had a rather different personality than Jennifer. One aspect I remember was that she had two potential boyfriends. Jennifer preferred one of them, while She-Hulk liked the other one. It was also the first comic series I remember reading in which the characters had (implied) sex.
Or maybe it was just the first time that I was old enough to understand what that passionate embrace followed by a discreet cutaway meant.