Note: Immaculate conception = conception of Mary, NOT conception of Jesus

Ok, I give you Post #10, but no one answered my ab-so-lutely utter stream of consciousness question about mangers.

I mean, c’mon. Virgins, sex and baby Jesus are kinda important, but ferchristsake!

Damn! How did I not know this? It also ruins the joke:

Q. What’s the difference between the virgin birth and immaculate conception?
A. Nine months.

And what is the manger, exactly, anyway? We know it’s enclosing, because the little lord Jesus was away in it. Is it the barn? The little wooden creche Jesus is laying in? And what’s the creche? Is it a feeding dish for sheep? A watering trough? C’mon, let’s get to the important stuff! :smiley:
And I still don’t know HOW Anne conceived Mary without catching the “STD” of Original Sin, if she had Bliblical Knowledge of her husband. (And if I hear “It’s a mystery knowable only by God,” why then…I’ll just go start planning my May Pole for Beltane!)

Am I beeing whooshed? The dictionary says “manger, n: A trough or an open box in which feed for livestock is placed.” Why isn’t that the answer to all your manger, and manger related, queries?

Franco Harris’ mother.

Chaste has different meanings, so can be confusing:

Celibate has (or had) the meaning you cite, but it’s disappearing in the U.S.:

Actually, that’s always been a question of mine. Was Jesus “contaminated” with original sin? He came to earth to share the mortal nature of man, he became a man in every way…wouldn’t be a better story if Jesus had all the temptation of our flesh and still remained without sin?

Thanks, JeffB. I’m familiar with those modern definitions, it’s just as a hobby-medievalist I prefer the old definitions so I don’t have to read something like *although St. FillintheBlank was married she lived her life in celibacy * in museum commentary. It’s confusing.