'nother cat thread...need little recommendations

I’m wanting to use a new litter for my kittys. For now i use Tidy Cat Scoop, and it’s pretty good, but I know something is better out there singing…somewhere out there…beneath the pale moonlight…

ahem.

ANYWAY, CatLoverDopers, or DoperCatLovers, or CoperLatDovers, whatever the hell we are, could some of you guys tell me what litter you use, and if you like it, and if you’ve heard of a mysterious new litter that’s supposed to work, etc etc?

Thanks. And Sparkles and Lucky thank you too marowr rowr

Eh. I’ve tried a few different things, but although I insist on clumping litter, it’s all pretty much the same within categories. There’s nothing that can make it unyucky, and we still have to clean the thing out.

I use Arm & Hammer unscented. The cats don’t object, it’s reasonably inexpensive, and it (when cleaned regularly) smells neither like catshit nor like catshit & roses.

Daniel

feline pine.

it starts out as saw dust pellets. when kitty goes peepee, the pellets go to saw dust. you just scoop the poopoo. if the box is close to the toidy you can scoop and flush the poopoo. the girls like it. i like the env. friendliness.

I recommend Swheatscoop. It’s (as its name suggests) made from wheat. It clumps nicely, smells decent, is easy to clean, and, most importantly to us, it’s not dangerous to the cats even if they eat it (I got nervous about the reports that clumping cat litter contains things that can be bad for cats if they swallow it).

Its downsides are that it’s a bit expensive, it’s somewhat hard to find, it does make dust, and the cats can track it all over the carpet, but it vacuums up nicely.

My two furballs seem to like it a lot.

I like freshstep. If the cat gets some on the floor 'tis easy to clean up vs. the clay that seems to stain me floors with a cloudy residue.

I second the use of Feline Pine: while I don’t use it myself (our cat is rather… shall we say, set in her ways), the local no-kill uses it for their litter boxes. It holds up well to lots of heavy use: generally the only times you smell litter box odor is if you’re standing right next to a box as a cat is using it, or if some of the cats ate something that really didn’t agree with their system. (In the latter case, I don’t know of anything short of issuing gas masks that will help that kind of smell.) :eek:

Personally, I normally use the cheap stuff you get in the dump-truck size from Costco. This is because my cat likes to dig, and filling up the box with enough litter to allow her to dig takes a lot of litter. (I’m experimenting with scoopable stuff this week, and so far there hasn’t been any protests from the cat, but I have gotten a lot of bewildered looks if I happen to go by just before/after she does her thing.)

<< Meow! >>

Another vote for Feline Pine. It is the most absorbent stuff I’ve ever tried, great for multiple cats especially. I like it much better than ordinary clay, scoopable and the crystals, all of which I’ve tried at one time.

I wish I knew the name of the stuff… But it looks like little plastic pellets. You know? Like small styrafoam balls?

My Best buddie says it is the best. Expensive but worth it.As the pellets absorb the moisture, they turn yellow.The fecal material dessicates within an hour or so.No hard edges so it is pleasent on the feline toesies.

WE of course use the $2 Hartz clay. We change daily and expensive litters are not worth the money for us with 3 cats and 1 box.

I really like Ever Clean. It’s a clay, clumping litter that comes in several variations. I use what was called the antibacterial litter, but it can still be identified by the red stripe across its box. The smell of urine never lingers even after the litter has been there for some time, and the urine balls almost never break apart. It is, however, an expensive litter, and you’re more likely to find it at a pet store. I haven’t seen it at the grocery store. I have heard that the wheat stuff is nifty, and I’m tempted to try it.

I really like Ever Clean. It’s a clay, clumping litter that comes in several variations. I use what was called the antibacterial litter, but it can be identified by the red stripe across its box. The smell of urine never lingers even after the litter has been there for some time, and the urine balls rarely break apart. It is an expensive litter and, usually only found at a pet store. I haven’t seen it at a grocery store. I have heard that the wheat stuff is nifty, and I’m tempted to try it.

Sorry about that double but slightly different post.